Toro T Bar 48in Turbo Force W/B

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToughAsStihl, Jul 30, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I am looking at a 15 horse Toro 48in Turbo Force belt driven walk-behind with T-bar $3,599.

Is this good price?
    Anyone have some experience with them?
    is the T-bar really that great?
  2. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Anyone have some thoughts?
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Toro 15hp Hydro with a 44" SFS deck. It has the T bar and also electric start (800 hours). Have had great luck with it and I just got a great deal on another WB so my Toro is for sale.
    It has plenty of power, good on gas. I put an Engineaire Air cleaner on it. I wouldn't buy a belt drive WB and personally I hate pistol grips too so the T bar is a good system for me.
    If you want to make a deal on mine let me know, everything is negotiable.
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" hydro with the T-bar. I love the T-bar. Don't know how it is with a belt drive system though.
  5. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not to shure about a 15 horse on a 48" deck. (underpowered)
  6. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

15hp on a 48'' deck is not underpowered. Look at all the 48'' belt drives. They are all powered by a 15hp kawi/kohler and such. My 48'' lesco has a 15 hp kawi. PLENTY OF POWER!
  7. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

So is the T-bar worth the extra money? It just seems like it would be a lot more difficult to operate than pistol grip.
    Is the Turbo Force deck also worth the extra money over the SFS deck?
  8. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Definately T-Bar & TurboForce. If I was buying, that is the route I would go. Everyone loves the T-Bar, & the Turbo Force deck is supposed to be much better that the SFS.

hillndale :headphones:
  9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have not priced 48" belt drives lately, but would imagine you should get one for around $3500. I would not want to buy a 48 t-bar in belt drive. I had one in the past and found it a bear to turn. I find that I can not just lock up one wheel and rotate without some grass damage, which then requires some rear pull on the inside tire side. I kind of allow rotation on one side with pulling motion on the other. I can make quick perfect turns. The T-bar has you at a poor mechanical position. The handles are in close, and place your arms in a weaker position then you would have with other grip systems. My experience was that it is not an easy machine to make perfect turns with. In a hydro I would think it would be superlative.

If I were mowing some tall stuff, I would prefer a 17hp. With the baffles open you will probably be just fine with the 15hp. I just don't like to hope I have enough power, I would rather spend a bit more for some peace of mind. You will likely get more when you sell which makes it free power.

Just my opinion
  10. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Shady Brook that was my worry with the T-Bar. So would you than think that the pistol grips would be a better choice? Honestly I do not see how the T-Bar is better. I think that the pistol grip would be much easier to control since you have more individual control of each tire.

I am hopefully going to go to the dealer tomorrow to try both a T-Bar and a pistol grip machine.

Also is floating deck really much better than fixed deck for a 48in deck?