1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro "T" bar adjustment questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Jun 18, 2004.

1. We just got a 36" Toro WB T bar belt drive with a fixed deck.
    It has a long range of adjustment for the belt drive/brake band control rod.

We use it to mow ditches and other difficult areas. So I need to use the wheel brakes on one wheel while engaging the drive belt on the other wheel. Sometimes I pull the machine backwards, so I wouldn't want the brakes to drag while in neutral.

What's a good way to adjust the T bar?

So it comes really near the front bar and just grip them both together until I need to brake one wheel?
    Or should it be backed off so I can wrap my hand around just the T bar without hitting the front bar with my knuckles?

Or have I simply bought the wrong mower for this kind of work?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to adjust the threaded rods going to the T-bar, their is one on each side. You don't want it to go all the way to the front bar, you want to have around 2in. between the t-bar and front bar. I hope this helped, it you have any more questions feel free to ask.
  3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

If your cutting ditches & Difficult Areas you've bought the wrong Mower....Toro 36" Hydro w/Pistols would be the Right Mower....
  4. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I've always adjusted the brakes first I will adjust it until there is enough tension when setting the parking brake. Then I adjust the drive threaded rod until there is about 1"-2" of space between the T-Bar and the handle while pushing forward on the T-bar. It's kind of hard to explain in writing, you almost have to trial and error until you get it right.
  5. Thanks for the responses. I was at a loss to know where to even begin adjusting the T bar.
    At first it was way too close to the front bar and was pinching my hands. Then I adjusted it too far the other way and it was too far of a stretch for my hands to be comfortable.
    I'll get it in the 2-3" range and refine the adjustments from there.

I thought the pistol grips responded better. I was just thinking all those years spent with pistol grips made them feel more natural. The T bar works better for me everday I practice with it.
    Who knows I may even get good with it.:rolleyes:

Thanks again.