TORO T bar hydro or gear?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whiteclifflawn, May 14, 2005.

1. whiteclifflawn

whiteclifflawn LawnSite Member

I have finally settled on a toro tbar for this year at least to solve my tight yard prob. but a couple of my buddys are saying oh you just need the gear it's so easy, but I HATE gear drive walk behinds, had a old gravely when I started, MAN, I hated that thing. To be fair it was old and out dated. but is the hydro t bar much better than the gear, completely diffrent set up for me. I am concerned, be cause I am looking at the 44" models of both, and the hydro is only 15HP, and the gear is the old 17HP kaw.
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Faster no belts to wear out or slipping in wet conditions, I had a snapper gear wb for first mower and it would suck when it was wet outside. Also the belts wore out fast and i was always messing with belt tension. Go with the toro 44'' sfs deck with t bar you wont regret it.
  3. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

hyrdo, not even close.
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The T bar gear mowers are a definite step up in ease of use from pistol grips. I have also owned a hydro 44 T bar 15hp kohler. I sold it fairly quickly. It is jumpy and the 15hp was not enough for heavy grass or mulching. It cut very nicely, though. It also had a traction problem with the design that year that I think has since been fixed.

There are better mowers probably if you want a mower that handles a lot of tight areas. I'd look into hustler or Gravely hydros with their better steering systems (vs pistol) The problem is that the 44" is a great deck size (fits through more gates yet isn't too small like a 36") and no other brands seem to have something like that. Well, Husqvarna has a 42" hydro, but I had a hard time when I tested it getting it to steer where I wanted it.
  5. I just purchased a new 32 toro with tbar, I have never owner or operated a hydro walk behind, that said, when I bought the proline and got home with it, I was in the driveway checking it out, my 11 year old daughter came out and wanted to try it, I am not kidding, she mowed my neighbors front lawn and then proceeded to do their next door neighbor, I had to go and stop her, I really don't like those neighbors, anyway, what I am trying to say is that this navigation system is really easier than any 21 I have ever guided, it turns very smooth, no jerking. Hydro was about 800 dollars more and I really didn't need it to begin with, I only have 2 back yards I cant get my ZTR in. But I can say I am very pleased with this set-up. Oh yea she mowed nice and straight, I will have a helper in a few more years.
    hope I said something you can use...
  6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah i think hydros are the only way to go! I think it is well worth the extra money.
  7. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

You are buying a very good mower that will last a long time. Spend the extra money now and get the hydro, you will be a lot better off down the road.