Toro T-Bar Hydros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by corycc, Mar 31, 2001.

1. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

If you've read my other post about my Toro T-Bar Hydro, you know that I have a 36" floating deck on it. Right now I am having some pretty bad trouble with the controls. I have other mowers with pistol grips and I realize that making this change can take some time. I have used the new mower only for about 2 hours so far but have not been able to control it properly. I find that with every little bump of the mower or every teist of my shoulders or every bump I walk across and every time I turn effects the steering badly. Because I control it with my whole arm instead of just my finger tips as with pistol grips, the steering isn't as finesed as my belt drive, pistol grip WB. Because of this, gradual acceleration is near impossible. At the end of rows when I turn around, I have to carefully get lined up and then very quickly push the bar forward which causes the deck which already has a weight on it to rise missing some grass. This takes time and eats up profits. The previous owner said that you have to "drive it, not man-handle it". I don't know if this problem is because of the lightweight deck or even if I can fix it. I bought this mower to help me with small yards that previously I had been using 21" push mowers and right now I would be better of still using those push mowers. All I know is that right know even if I got a really good deal, this mower is not an asset for my business.

Have any of you guys had similar problems? Can you fix them? How? I really need some help. Thanks.

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know anything about the Toro T Bar, but the best walkbehind i use is the Snapper Loop Steering,i use scag pistol grips to but they don't compare with my snapper i think they are the simplest to operate,and they run very stright,well built great deck 7ga i have over 4000hrs on one on mine i purchased new in 93. Marks Mowing Service

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a Toro Pro-line with a 44" deck and a Kohler 15hp command. The T-bar system is a little trickey to get used to but in the long run I think you will like it. Keep practicing. There should be adjustments for the hydros if you are doing too many wheelies but even with my 44" deck I was popping it up. My solution was to get a piece of bar stock and mount a 35lb lead weight to it and mount the both just behind the front casters on the deck. The Toro is a fine machine keep playing with it but add the weight also.
    Good luck.

4. There is a vast difference from old vs. new toro hydros.

The unit you have Ed is the newer model with kelevleg(spelling?) valve. The new model steering is as responsive as a belt drive toro.

The 1995 model is the old style and is a ride from hell
    on a 36" deck.