Toro T-Bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Jul 31, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have two mowers, and Exmark Metro 36" pistol grip and a Toro 36" with a T-Bar. I have been using the Exmark and never really used the Toro so the T-Bar is kind of hard to control. I have read were people really love this T-Bar and Im trying to find out is it something that Im missing. Im trying to find out becasue I have to start using it soon and Im wondering if I have just gotten comfortable with the pistol grips and not being open for change.

So can someone tell me what is so great about the T-Bar? Why do they like it so much? What are the pros and cons?

Just trying to get a feel for what makes it great so I can know what to expect when I start to use it.

Thanks for your help. :)
  2. clallen03

Bump, anyone.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If the T-bar is a belt drive then it is amazingly simple. NOTE-- DONT wrap your hands around the bar, they can get the smit smashed out of them.

Basically to operate a T-bar just set the gear of the tranny that you want, usually 2-3 and using the ball of your palms push on the bar. When you want to turn, use your fingers and pull up on one side while pushing down on the other. These work great and are much easier to control if you are on a sulky.

The pro's are simplistic design, easy to control and will not wear out your hands like friggin pistol grips do.

Cons -- T-bar doesnt work as well with hydros as it does belt drive.
  4. clallen03

How much is a sulky for this machine?
  5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

a single wheel velke is about 300 and a dual wheel model is about 330, I agree with lawn on his comments on the t-bar also

6. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

So is it pretty difficult or awkward to operate the T-bar while walking? How so?
  7. clallen03

I find it dufficult because I havent figured out how to slow it down and turn at the same time. When I turn its going full speed and Im running around in a circle trying to keep up with it. Maybe this is because I haven't used it alot, but thats the reason I dont use it much. It makes since that it would be much easier to operarte with a sulky.
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It is very difficult IMO to operate this machine with no sulky. I have done both and there it is really a significant difference. Pick up a sulky for around 300 and you are set. The main reason I think it is so awkward is that with no sulky you really have to walk around the machine when turning and holding on to the t-bar.
  9. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I've used 2 toro t bars 36 ''hydros for 9 years now.Bought a new one 3 years ago.I'm solo.I could operate mower with one hand if i had to.Can you do that with pistol grips?NO!I do corners one handed all the time.It's great!!:clapping:
  10. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

we had some at tru green in tennessee.they sat locked up in a one would touch them.i never understood the point to them.