Toro T-Bar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Live4Mowin', Jul 30, 2003.

?

Do you like the t-bar on toro

1. I like it

54 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. I dont like it

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

For anyone that has had experience with a toro t-bar belt drive, how do you like them? Is it easy to manuver with the t-bar?

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

When I had my Toro I loved it. Easy to use.

3. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a pair, and they are very easy to use. My only complaint would be that the belts wear out too quickly.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a 52" Pro-Line.

The best thing about the T-Bar is that it stays in "Neutral" until you push th ebar forward.

If it had only been balanced as well as the Exmark I have now, that is better traction and braking...it would have been perfect.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I love the t-bar. I found with pistol grips I would hurt my wrist or hands when banging into objects.

6. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

I realize you asked about the TBar belt drive but just thought I'd give my 2 cents about the TBar in general. I've used it on a 20HP Kohler 52" Hydrowalk for the past 2.5 yrs and love the thing! Very natural to use and it does have better clearance around objects than the pistol grips. It is a little touchy and you can scorch some turf when turning until you get used to it. Doesn't take long though. When I compared it to one of my friends belt drives (all that he uses, and likes) it was a bit more sensitive but I have instant reverse. Got to take the good w/ the bad I guess.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Lesco w a T bar and a 52 Toro w T bar See April

Turf north for a photo of my Lesco. Before the Lesco I had a 48

Scag w a T bar. Ed

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I borrowed one once. I didn't like it. I had a hard time using it on hills and the belt that drove the blades kept comming off. This required a wrench to pull the deck cover off. Some kind of quick release or clips would hav been better. No hour meter had me wondering , how do you know when to service the machine. Exhaust blew straight down on the lawn. Leave it in one spot and you have a brown area next week.

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

12 years experience on 5 different units. I wouldn't use anything else on a belt drive, and it'd be hard to get me to switch to a hydro even. Very easy to use.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Most of your comments have to do more with a specific mower than T bar steering,which is what I think he wanted to know about. I can one-hand it on hills, so "borrowing" one for a day or so is not the same as learning over time how to use one. I'd have a hard time on hills too with pistol grips, since I'm not used to them.

I would say the vast majority of belt drives don't have an hour meter. You can add one yourself for about $40. I think it's called a tiny tach.

I'm not sure which model you were using, but none of my 5 toros has ever blown exhaust down onto grass causing damage. But the addition of a cheap section of appropriately sized and curved pipe would solve that.