1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro T2 Mower, Is anyone buying it? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grounds Maint., Mar 5, 2008.

1. Grounds Maint.

Grounds Maint. LawnSite Member

I demoed a New Toro walk behind last fall with the T2 handles. A plastic plug in the side of the engine was cross threaded so it leaked oil, so I didn't't have much time demoing it. Where I'm from the Exmark walk behinds are the most common, but I'm wondering if the Toro with their new handle setup up is a better choice. Seems easier to learn (operates like a rider), but is it going to be as productive after a guy has learned it. What is your guys experience?
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry I can't share any hands-on experience. But, I did see a T2 setup at a trade show last week. Obviously, no opportunity to try it out, so maybe my perceptions are wrong.

I didn't like what I saw. I have an Exmark Viking hydro. It has a ground speed control lever that establishes the maximum speed. Retracting the finger handles will lessen the speed on either wheel. But, during straight runs, nothing needs to be done except hang on to the handles, or even one handle.

With the T2 setup, the handles must be held in a fixed position for constant ground speed. There is no maximum, no high-end stop. The handles are free to be anywhere from neutral (including reverse), to full speed.

In my case, I tend to run most of the time about half top-end speed. Using the T2 handles, that would mean having to hold the control handles midway in their travel from neutral to top-end. I would think that would be tiring and cumbersome. There is no way to create a stop, something to jam the handles against and keep them in the right position.

However, having said that, the setup looks just like the one used on Wright Standers. Many users have been comfortable with the Wright equipment. This leads me to believe that my assessment of the T2 system may be flawed. I think I would need a few days of use to determine if the arrangement is acceptable or not. A couple of hours wouldn't be enough to make a long-term judgment.

The machine I saw (a 36" floating deck, Turbo-Force), had a heavy duty bar running across the back. It stuck out about 3-4 inches beyond (in the direction of the operator) the assembly that supported the ground drive control handles. This bar seemed to serve no purpose. Oh, to be sure, it was a heavy piece to hang onto, if one needs to apply leverage to the machine. But, with one hand on the control handles (working both with one hand in the middle), I don't envision getting much leverage with the other handle. The entire T2 setup does not appear to give an operator much leverage working against the machine. All directional control must be done with the hydros. My pistol grips have served me well in having good leverage to "drive" the machine, apart from the hydros. Being a 36" machine, and lighter than most w/b, it is easier to "drive" the mower, than control with the hydros. The T2 would not allow this type of operation -- at least in my mind.

P.S. Toro has options for T2, T-bar, or pistol for steering -- a machine can be had with one of these three choices.