1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro T2 vs Exmark Metro 26"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Jul 19, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You know...I always talk bad about the little Exmark that could...but I used it today for the first time in a few weeks on my back lawn (Fescue) and the cut it leaves is fantastic...of course I bagged too which made a bigger difference. Those of you who need a smaller mower and have doubts about the quality of cut and the lack of power let me say it may not be big in the power department...but the cut is better looking to me on my fescue then my new Toro T2...though my fescue is still young and soft (4-5 months old) and has yet to fully mature. I was thinking about selling this little mower...but I have a new found love for it now.
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Goodluck! I returned that mower very quickly the only thing it did well was bag.
    It could not mulch at all. The cut should be called a 23 you cannot cut a full 26
    This mower to me is really the worst mower out there. Besides the triton debakal.
  3. cgaengineer

Well I have cut lots of grass with it...as long as you don't let the grass get out of hand it does well...let it get tall and you better grab the Toro...the T2 40" is a bush hog...will mow anything without even an RPM loss. I have never measured the width of cut on the Metro 26"...I tend to overlap my cuts more than most anyway. Did you happen to try the mulching blade and shoot blocker or are you basing mulching on the factor blade and closing the door?
  4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, how does it handle around obstacles? Is it comparable to a 21 as far as the feel goes? I have all small lawns that is use a 21 on. This mower would be perfect on most my lawns if it handles well.
  5. cgaengineer

The 26" is a little difficult at first because of its weight, but after a few uses you will get used to the weight and become more proficient. I will warn you that if you have those accounts that want grass cut every two weeks and its 6" or longer and you are cutting more than 1/3 of the blade...this is not the mower for you. Feel free to ask me more questions.
  6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I had th mulching kit. The cable for the transmition also needed adjusted every week. I hated the thing it was way to heavy and for me at least it did not mulch at all. Sure if you were taking off a quater inch but other than that it stunk. I did like the bagger for it it did do a good job for that but again it left stringers if you tried to use the whol deck.
  7. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

It's the middle of the '07 season...what's the future of the Metro 26....
    and how can I verify mfg date? I'm interested in this mower IF Exmark is committed
    to making this a viable commercial unit!

How long before '08 models are out and can be demo'ed?

I'm not even remotely willing to paying $1400 for a unit with the track
    record of the 26.....but...if I can verify '07 "updated" models I might
    consider risking $1000 per unit.

This size mower is a no-brainer for my applications.....so encourage me!
  8. cgaengineer

Well mine was purchased brand new spring of '07 and my 26" does not exhibit any of the broken cables as the previous year so I assume I got an '07 model. I really like the cut, but the thing I dont like the most is it's a little on the underpowered side...pair this mower with an 8hp and you got something. This mower was purchased by me as a less expensive alternative to a dual hydro walk behind but larger than a 21" and fit the interim very well. One other thing I did not like was that if I wanted to head over to grandmothers house to mow the lawn I couldnt easily load it myself as it was to heavy so I ended up trailering it for a 5 minute ride and a 10 minute cut. I now load the hydro and leave the Exmark at home as I cut her back lawn now and it was an overgrown mess and would have taken me an hour compared to 20 minutes with the 40". Talk with your local dealer to see when new models come out, also chheck with Exmark to see if they have a new and improved model for next season. I spoke with a dealer that said he thought Toro would market a 26" and it would have everything the Exmark Metro 26" has and lacks (A more refined quality built machine).

I think there is a market for a good 26", especially for those small yards with small gates, small yards to be bagged, and areas in which a heavy walk behind are not an option.

Exmark 26" Pros and Cons:

Larger cut than 21"
    Quality cut when no more then 1/3 blade taken off
    Blade stops when handle is released, but engine continues to run.
    Bags really well
    Easy to keep in straight line as its heavy
    Faster than cutting with 21"
    Its an Exmark!

A little underpowered
    Mulching works only if dry grass and no more than 1/3 removed
    Gear selector could be more precise (sometimes hard to find the correct gear)
    Will beat you to death on very rough terrain (I have a yard I used it on that was rutted)