toro - taking off tranny cover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EagleLandscape, Nov 14, 2003.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm trying to take off the cover on my tranny. It's a 4sp + nuetral, early 90's Ive undone the 6 bolts, but its not coming off:-\. Am I missing something?

2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Is there a nut on were the shift linkage enters the tranny. If not the sealant in a 13 year old anything may need some extra help like a putty knife in between the two halves. Why do you need to take it apart?

3. EagleLandscape

I wanted to see what condition the gears are in. It looks sticky, but I have taken the nut off where the shift bar connects to the vertical something-or-another- that goes down into the tranny. JUst use some elbow grease on it?

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If you have ever taken off a valve cover or oil pan it can be pretty hard after a few long hot years. I have had to beat and pry some things off that are only being held on by a gasket and I have beat and pryed things that still had a hidden bolt underneath. Check and double check before you do any damage to your pride. I believe if it aint broke don't mess with it. Problems always seem to arise after such checking of things that can be a pain in the rear.

5. EagleLandscape

yeah i took the hammer to it, plus i forgot to take the sucker outta gear. Man, the machine is almost 14 years old. Its like someone took a shite in there and let it rot. It stunk, and was greasy and gooey as anything. But nothing a little ZEP and WD-40 wouldnt take care of. all clean now. Gears are in great shape, and no rust. But I did find a blade of grass:-\ Wonder how old that is.