1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

toro tbar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Feb 28, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

I was set on buying an exmark 48metro wb, but upon reading some past threads i have heard that the comparable toro proline model with tbar steering may be the way to go. How easy is the 52 toro to adjust heights, steer etc? Or should i just go with my first instinct?
  2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

We just bought a Toro Proline 52" WB. I havent had much time to use it but from what I could do with it I really like the TBar steering. I didnt think that I would like it but after I got used to it I think its pretty cool.
  3. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

I have (2) 44 in Toro walk behinds with t bar steering.
    T Bar steering is very easy to use.
    You can steer with one hand (if you want to) unless youre on a hill or turning.
    I am sold on the T Bar.
  4. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

You will love it (t-bar) this is my 2nd toro tbar hydro
    52in deck, if i could change one thing it would be to increase the wheel width (uneven ground causes the deck to tend to scalp. Height adjustment system has changed (2000) it is now a lot easier to set.
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

A dealers story for you on this topic.

A guy bought two machines from one of the local dealers last year for his two sons who would be doing the mowing for him. A Toro w/ T-Bar, and a Scag w/ Pistol-Grip. Both machines were hydro 48's. Halfway thru the season the father asked them to change units to see how they liked the other one. As this was the first year any of them had been in the Industry, when the dealer asked them how they liked the units at the end of the season the one who learned on that style preferred it best. True Story.

I guess that it all comes down to operator preference.

6. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Kut N Kru

Amen to that.

Imagine what it's like to pony up loads of money trying to decide what the "right" system will be for a manufacturer

People justify their decisions and get busy backing up their choices sometimes even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Did you know most vehicl ads are read in detail after the purchase of the vehicle. Studies have shown this and they think it has to do with our natural instinct to believe our decisions were right.

Minds are funny that way.

7. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

The Tbar will be ALOTT easier on your hands than the pistol grips. That new style grip Exmark has may be even better though. Russ
  8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned Toro's tbar machines and I liked them until I moved back to a pistol grip machine! I don't care what anyone says, you have less control over scalping w/tbar and it's harder to stripe perfect w/tbar. that's just my opinion -- but it true! lol

People are right though, any machine you started using is the type you will prefer.

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats true I started using a pistol grip walkbehind and in my 3rd year I bought a toro with t-bar and did not like it very well,so I put it to use as a backup mower.This year I am using the toro as main mower with the lazer and my customers think I bought a new mower. Mabey it will be a little easier to raise the prices,I do not think so,but I will anyway.
  10. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

I bet the brother that used the Scag has a stronger handshake than his T-bar brother. lol