1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Toro" The "Microsoft" of our Industry.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Mar 26, 2000.

1. Just curious of what some of you think about this. Why doesn’t the ANTI-TRUST division of the justice department look into the monopoly that “Toro” is creating? I mean they own “Lawn-Boy” “Exmark” “Parker Sweeper Company” and I’m sure they have their hands in other companies. I think that the “Toro” company is trying to become the “Microsoft” of the landscape & maintenance gardening industry.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
  2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The difference is Microsoft made their own software.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think Toro has an even bigger pull in the Golf course turf division.They have built practically all the greens and fairway mowers on every golf course(mine included)around the world.I think Jacobsen is the only one even close(Textron),and they are buying up as well.Textrton now owns Jacobsen,Steiner,cushman,ransomes,national+ others.Pretty soon they'll all be owned by 2 companys(yikes). <p>----------<br>John D<br>
  4. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely a troublesome situation. Have you ever tried to shop for a larger piece of toro equipment. What a JOKE!<p>You call around asking for prices, and they all ask where you live. When they find out, they say, &quot;well sir, we love to help you but the boys back at HQ say your in such and such's territory&quot;<p>You can't buy from anywhere else but where they want you too. There's no way of shopping for prices, at all. A crock of ^%$#&gt;<p>If you really want a monopoly, try the flail arm mower market. Alamo owns the entire thing, and I mean everything! Theres no way to get comparitive prices because they dictate them directly. A complete monopoly!
  5. Hello:<p>The way things are going, the bigger companies are almost being forced to buy out other companies in order to be able to survive.<p>It's just like a some of your manufactures are elimating the distributors & having the dealers buy factory direct.<p>In time you will be able to buy equipment & parts directly from the internet. I think JD is getting ready to start doing this in near future.<p>Schwinn Fitness is now doing this, Customer purchases from web site & Schwinn contacts nearest dealer, they deliver, then Schwinn sends check. Same service just less time with customer more sales for dealer. <p>It's the way of the future!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
  6. Cannonturf

Cannonturf LawnSite Member

There just like any other company. The minute someone builds a better product then theirs at half the price, it's easier for a big company to buy that company verses compete with it. Look at Chemlawn.<br>Toro is a rip off. There parts prices are 3 times what they should be. I once had to $200<br>for a shift level.<br>I'm not saying toro's are bad machine but I can spend my money better elsewhere.
  7. Just to add another two cents worth...<br>On the irrigation side of the business, they own &quot;Hardie&quot; &quot;Irritrol&quot; just to name a few. I wonder if the &quot;JUSTICE DEPT&quot; would ever get involved.<p>As Cannonturf said, I think that is what Toro is doing. Can't beat them competition wise, let's just buy them out. Isn't this what got &quot;Microsoft&quot; in deep do do???? All Toro does is buy out their comptition, then let the company go to pots.<p>A company that I can talk about from experience is &quot;Lawn-Boy&quot;. I have been using their 19&quot; and 21&quot; mowers for over 27 years. My current machine is over 4 yrs. old. I use these smaller machines, as the yards I service here on the San Francisco Peninsula are small. You can't beat their ability to suck up pine needles and leaves all while cutting a lawn. I've used both Snapper and Toro’s. They can't pick up the leaves as well as the &quot;Lawn-Boy&quot;. I do have to say that the Snapper does a good job with cutting, but I don't like them because of their weight. The tires mark up a lawn too much. Forget about mulching with &quot;Lawn-Boy&quot; as they were never meant to be a mulching machine. Here it doesn't get hot enough for the mulch to break down well enough. Thatch just builds up too fast or cause fungus problems.<p>All there 2 cycle and 4 cycle machines suck according to my machine mechanic. Why, Toro wants to promote their machines. So they don't spend too much on R & D for the Lawn-Boy line. That is one reason why you can't buy Lawn-Boy anymore here in California. Toro wouldn’t spend the money to make their machines emissions compliant in this state. For those of you that are not aware of this, California has always had stricter emissions requirements than the federal goverment.<p>Sorry about the rambling, just a sore subject for me. It's a shame to see such a good machine go to pots. I just wish that other companies such as Snapper, Toro, John Deer, Honda would learn to make GOOD quality machines that weren't so heavy. You can't find a lightweight, good commercial machine like the &quot;Lawn-Boy&quot; use to be.<br>Jean<br><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044
  8. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

Actually, what microsoft and Toro are doing are completely different. Toro is A LONG way from being the calibre Microsoft is.<br>Further more, Microsoft developed their own product(although it was originally stolen by Bill Gates, from Xerox), and have marketed it well, and people buy it.<br>Toro, on the other hand, actually doesn't make &quot;anything&quot; at all. They are a large corporation who simply buys out other companies. They have aquired numerous companies to be where they are today. Much more that you all listed above. Even their mowers were aoriginally a company they bought out(wheel horse). Toro is not actully a lawn company, more of a comglomerate of many under one name.<br>Having said all that, I have a 3 Toro Zmasters and love them :)<br>-todd
  9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

They manufactured lawn mowers way before they aquired Wheel horse.