Toro Timecutter ? Are They Any Good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gibs, May 30, 2005.

1. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

just wondering are they any good or is just better to go out and buy another walk behind? anyone have any experience with one or heard good or bad things?
  2. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Strictly a residential piece of equipment
  3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have also been wondering about about the Toro Timecutter. I know that they are a residential machine, but if you don't have very many larger lawns to cut and only use it maybe once or twice per day for say 2 hours total and a couple days per week, would it hold up? I was told because they don't have a transmission reseviour, that they can overheat the trany's if used for extended periods. So that's why I ask about if it's not used all day every day, will it hold up?
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e never ran one, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but... I have looked at them before and honestly the only other riders that I have seen as cheaply constructed is Murray and Craftsman. They are basically on the same level of quality. The cutting decks are so thin and poorly constructed it's humorous. Not just the deck, but the whole mechinism that the deck is supported by. Other than that, and looking pretty hokey, I'm sure they cut grass and make a zero turn just like all the others. How long it would last is all up to the owner.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Pete could probably answer these questions better. I think he ran/runs one.
  6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

A guy I know uses a cub homeowner z looks identical to the toro timecutter. He's used it all last year and all this year with no problems and I think he cuts 3 days a week. Weird thing is he bought a hydro gravely walkbehind and doesn't use it....
  7. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

The tranys used in the Timecutter are Hydrogear IZT - these same tranys are starting to be used in some commercial walk behinds. It is a excellent product for what it is. The machine is backed by one of the best customer support groups in the industry. Just remember what it's designed for.
  8. Gibs

Gibs LawnSite Member
    from canada

thankz guys for the input.... i think i rather get another toro wb but now can't decide floating deck or fixed? i already have a 44" floating and love it but would like to give a fixed deck a try on my flat properties...
  9. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I own and run a 2002 Toro Timecutter Z (now it would be considered the ZX model). I got a good deal on it from a good dealer and bought it at the age of 15.

Here's the main facts on it:

-Ever since I got it, the thing has never been able to go straight. The hydro's are messed up and there is no way to adjust the tracking. You have to go very slow to get a straight line. There is also no way to change the hydro fluid, and I have had problems with the hydro's failing after a few hours of use, mainly if you are mowing hillsides.

-It doesn't stripe very well.

-There is no suspension seat.

-It has a floating deck but it still scalps pretty easily.

-It only goes about 6 mph and you can't travel at full speed without putting the engine under load.

-the deck tends to catch alot of grass and also around the it is a pain and takes forever.

-It is way too light and you will slip alot on hills and sometimes it has trouble getting traction turning on flat lawns.

-The tubeless front tires suck. If you catch them on curbs, trailer ramps, turn too sharp, and you will break the seal of the tire and you are done for the day. Gotta go find a big air compressor at at garage to reseal and reinflate it. Has happened to me about 5 times so far and has ruined my day. Actually happened 2 days ago. You gotta have somebody put a tube in it.

It puts out a decent cut if the blades are sharp and the underside of the deck is clean, and deck needs to be cleaned nearly every two weeks.

The engines are junk. Oil pump failed at 193 hours nearly one year ago, breaking connecting rod. Engine is toast. Warranty department sucks and takes over a month to get a new engine, however, they put a bigger engine on it.

-Parking brake won't hold it very well on any grade of incline.

SO far at 300 hours on it, with my self-supplied hourmeter, I have replaced the engine, the throttle cable, and an air filter. The grease zerk from the front caster wheel has fallen off and the other one keeps coming loose. It needs a new spindle and the clutch is starting to have some issues I believe. Its gonna need a new deck belt ($100 at local dealer).

I use it approximately 12-15 hours/week and it barely holds up. It is my main big mower.

Hopefully soon I will be able to replace it with a 48" walkbehind that I can depend on.

This is strickly a residential mower and I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BUYING IT for commercial use.
  10. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

NO FIXED DECK i think that would be a mistake all the way around. There is a landscaping company here with one and he let me try one out man i hated it and is hard to change the deck settings. Go with the floating deck w/o a doubt.