Toro Timemaster 30" Just arrived today and it has the worst cut I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by indy_gt, May 11, 2012.

1. cms_

cms_ LawnSite Member

My neighbor bought one a couple weeks ago. His yard looks awesome. He cuts on 4". It sounds like these mowers are hit or miss...

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Hopefully, Exact Rototilling will chime in. He owns one of these units and should be able to help diagnose the problem.

3. indy_gt

indy_gt LawnSite Member

UPDATE 5/14 -- Toro supervisor states that I need to walk slower or walk very slow and that I can only mulch up to 1" off at a time. So I would need to mow every couple of days and walk in half strides. Does that sound like a mulching mower?

4. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of these units. I actually had the idea of using "small mowers only" and this one fit the bill perfectly. A ton lighter than a 36 inch commercial walk behind, and looks like a regular push mower on steroids.

I used it for two weeks 5 days a week (25 properties) and well briggs and stratton messed up on this engine from my experience. After three visits to the dealer it finally got fixed (ended up being shattered governor gear, and needed a new cam shaft).

I ended up buying a 36 inch scag walk behind and wow what a difference. The cut quality is 110% better than the toro timemaster. Don't get me wrong the timemaster is great on well groomed lawns but if its too high forget it. It doesn't bag that great either from my experience and mine does the same thing (leaving the uncut streaks) if the grass is too high.

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

1"? LOL.
    My 21" Toro Super Recycler seems to do quite well when mulching.
    It sucks as a bagger if the grass is TOO long - the opening clogs long before the bag fills.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Wow not good on that 30" er. I'll reserve judgment in case something is factory-wrong with the machine.

And I agree, my 21" SR4 is a nice, nice mower. I am picking up a new one this week and selling my old one - getting one with the Briggs b/f they move to those cheap chinese junk engines.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most of Briggs smaller engines and a lot of the larger engines are made in China now. I posted a press release about 2 weeks ago and in it Briggs said all of their horizontal shaft engines will be made in China from now on. You're better off finding a mower with a Honda engine.

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up an SR4 last month. Very nice mower and mulches well. I wanted the #22156 commercial Toro, but having one speed was a deal breaker. I had a Honda pushmower with one speed and hated it. The SR4 is also light enough to throw in the back of my pick up if need be.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I was very dissapointed with briggs and stratton and im almost 100% all their smaller engines are built in china.
    Kohler is the way to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

OK - well my dealer told me to pick up one of the holdover 2011 SR4's with the USA Briggs b/f they move to the chinese crap engine. I am just going by what he told me, no reason to believe he is filling me full of it.