Toro Timemaster 30" Just arrived today and it has the worst cut I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by indy_gt, May 11, 2012.

1. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I noticed right away was how quickly the deck gets clogged up. My 36 inch scag gets some grass under the deck but not to the point of it falling out every time I disengage the blades like the timemaster.

Even when side discharging the deck gets completely clogged. Keep in mind mine kept clogging even while cutting weekly maintained lawns.

2. ls3c6

ls3c6 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I don't doubt the scag is better, but it's also 3.5x the price and i'm cutting 3/4 acre of land in about 25 minutes using less than half a tank of fuel... of course I hold the personal pace AGAINST the "traction bar" (thumbs and index fingers) at all times and rpm is increased so I literally fly around the yard, but for my needs I cannot justify a $3500 mower. Compared to a 21" super recycler it's taking less than half the time AND using less gas due to shorter run time vs engine displacement difference/efficiency.

I do clean the deck after 2-3 mows, but in spring that's pretty typical of any mulching mower I would think. Few scrapes with a plastic ice scraper and a hose, no big deal.

Some have mentioned cutting with the rear 1 notch higher than the front, that was disasterous for me... I had grass clumps and a wavy cut, not sure why that's been recommended.

3. Busybee Lawns

Busybee Lawns LawnSite Member

the best way to cut tall out of control grass with the time saver is to put on the dishcharge shute and put on the bagger it will dishcharge and bag at the same time helping the flow of mowing without clogging. try it out it works.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have yet to see a good review on this machine.

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Mulching at 3.5 with those blades might be the problem. Very little lift, I would lower it 1/2 inch and mow it again in a different direction. When I mulch at 3.5 with my 60 inch mowers the first pass looks pretty bad like your pics, thats why we doublecut some lawns.

6. TForan

TForan LawnSite Member
    from MI

Same experience here. Works great for me. I need a rear bagger, so I don't know what the alterative is. A commercial walk behind would not be any good in my yard. I cut thick wet grass with no problem.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's the difference between a professional and a homeowner. It's good enough for a homeowner but it fails under the scrutiny of the seasoned professional's eye. It would probably fall apart if a crew used it.

8. TForan

TForan LawnSite Member
    from MI

Lord, for the thousandth time, it's not made for commercial use. Here's my yard in early spring before it really starts looking good. How does it look to your "seasoned professional's eye".

[​IMG]

9. hammmerhead

hammmerhead LawnSite Senior Member
    from ozarks

Dont know what kind of grass that is, but looks real similar to Zoysia. I have to run high lifts on my push mowers due to the high moisture content from the daily irrigation. It made the grass lay over and the deck couldnt draw enough enough vacuum to pull it up straight. I put high lift Sten's on my two 21's and it solved the problem completely.

Ahh, just noticed you were mulching. Im doubting it will ever mulch like you need it to. Just not enough HP or the ability of the deck to actually recycle the grass. If you are hell bent on mulching, you need a set of wavy blades.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. TForan

TForan LawnSite Member
    from MI

It's fescue, rye and bluegrass. No problem with it laying over.