Toro Timemaster 30" Just arrived today and it has the worst cut I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by indy_gt, May 11, 2012.

1. LawnSalon

LawnSalon LawnSite Member

As I stated earlier - the timemaster is no good without modification. After modification - it's all I use on the residential properties where I live. It's way better than a Toro recycler. I have a brand new commercial 21" toro recycler and it sucks big time compared to the timemaster after modifications.

The recycler bogs down in everything and I spend more time stopping to let it breathe than I do actually mowing the lawn.

Also bear in mind that we side discharge all of our lawns (recycler doesn't offer this option) and with the timemaster we fly through properties in half the time. It never bogs down, it discharges beautifully after the blade mod/discharge chute mod and we can have 2 people running 2 - 30" timemasters to replace 3 people running 3 - 21" mowers. Not to mention the fact that you can actually use it at nearly full speed with no bogging and it leaves a perfect clean cut.

From the factory the blades are horrifically designed. You should notice right away that the blade are angled downward from the center towards the blade tip; that is to say that if you ran your finger from the blade tip to the center bolt you would gradually be moving upwards - this in and of itself results in a downdraft instead of an updraft and sends clipping to the sides of the deck instead of up in a circulating motion through the deck. After no time at all the deck becomes clogged with grass and the airflow becomes null. First thing you need to do is straighten the blade so that the tip and the center of the blade form a straight line. The second thing you need to do is twist the blade so that the blades have more lift (I did this with a sledge hammer and a strong cement block by placing the blade on the edge of the block and giving it a few hard blows while I held it down with my foot).

The side discharge chute is horrible with a giant piece that obstructs the chute. Cut this out with a grinder or similar tool. I also shortened the chute as most residential chutes point downwards for safety and this is not what you want in a commercial unit as you want the clippings to disperse as much as possible to prevent clumping/piling of grass. Do this and obviously as with any mower make sure the blade is razor sharp and you're cooking with fire.

I have attached some pics I took today of the cut quality. No stragglers.

IMG577.jpg

IMG578.jpg

IMG579.jpg

2. kynobi

kynobi LawnSite Member

I currently run a Timemaster and my previous mower was also a super recycler and I must say that with the personal pace on the Timemaster, it is anything but cumbersome. I can see why you may form that opinion because of its appearance but it handles like a dream. Love this mower.

3. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

I cut 10 properties with mine the other day and it was 100 degrees. Lot sizes was 6-7,000 sq ft. Then when the regulae crew finished i went and cut Two more lawns with the wright stander. The timemaster cuts better to me but it felt good to be on that wright for the last lawns.

4. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

The Honda's with the Nexite deck do not need to be scraped. It's very slick and has an almost Teflon like anti-stick property to it.

Now the controls, I really have no defense for that except that when you have throttle/mower speed, blade brake and propulsion engagement on one handle bar, it would be impossible IMO to make it any easier to use.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I'm trying to figure out why you are making a second pass of a reel mower with a rotary. If you are leaving stragglers the reel is not set up properly. If you are leaving clumps your not set up properly and/or taking off too much at a time.:usflag:

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I wondered about that too, but thought it had to do with mowing in the rainy seattle weather.

7. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Rainy Seattle weather; adapt or starve.lol cutting wet with a reel you get some clumping and a stray here and there. Timemaster mulches the clumps and cleans up. We don't use grass baskets on the reels; too wet and too much grass, hence the clumps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you referring to the Toro Personal Pace system here, or are you describing the Honda setup?

9. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

To get more lift on my blades I added about 1/4" more bend on the outboard trailing edge fin. Vice and a big Crescent wrench for the bending. I tried a 1/2" of bend I got blowout so I went back to a 1/4". I was worried about twisting the blade fearing a height of cut discrepency betwenn the same blade as well as the other blade.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. LawnSalon

LawnSalon LawnSite Member

When you say "blowout" what do you mean exactly??