Lawn Care Forum banner

Toro TimeMaster 30 vs Exmark Commercial 30 vs Toro Commercial 30 vs yBravo 25

184K views 458 replies 51 participants last post by  Kaioh 
#1 ·
Yeah you're thinking oh NO! Not another thread on these mowers.

I own the yBravo 25 and last years Toro TimeMaster consumer model.

I'm hoping to demo both the Exmark and Toro COMMERCIAL versions in the following months to the ones I already own.

These are NOT front line mowers for me but mowers to replace 21's.

I will post pics of the Commercial blades vs last years TimeMaster blades in the next few days.

:waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
So that little bit of a lift makes that much of a difference when bagging, but it doesn't help when mulching, b/c of the gator spikes?

#5 ·
So that little bit of a lift makes that much of a difference when bagging, but it doesn't help when mulching, b/c of the gator spikes?
Side discharge and bagging yes. Mulch mode....? I'll be able to answer that in late April I hope.

Still early here. Low Spring mows only for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
There has to be some operator who has used both the Toro TimeMaster 30 and the Exmark/ Toro TurfMaster....side by side.

I'm very interested in top speed comparisons? And the weight difference issue....?

TurfMaster blades are in fact an improvement over the lower lift TimeMaster blades. Same basic blade just a different bend.
Posted via Mobile Device

#12 ·
Those Toro "upright storage" handles are awesome. I have no idea why all mowers are not like that. My life would be hell if I had to buy a different mower and had to figure out where to put it - it's honestly one reason I've avoided buying a commercial 21".
If not for the handle storing upright, I'd need to jam the mower in sideways for it to fit, wasting trailer space, and adding time/effort to the loading/unloading process.

Photo taken during trailer layout planning phase. Tie downs and anchor points not yet installed at the point pic was taken.

#13 ·
What Red Walk-Behind is that Oaknut?

#15 ·
Exact, how is the Timemaster holding up? Am on the fence between a commercial unit and one the Timemaster.
I will flat out say that the lighter weight of the homeowner model, fold-up handle and Personal Pace drive makes it a piece of cake to use.

One of the wheels has a crack maybe more of them do near the axle but as of yet zero functional issues.

Last year the carb had some hiccups and was sometimes a pita to start.... and sure enough it was out of warranty when I took it back. Dealer only soaked me $60 or so and found nothing.

The power of the mower is adequate IMO. The real world power of the engine may in fact be equal to the commercial TurfMaster.

The Briggs Pro series engine is cursed with a tiny gas tank just like my Lawn Solutions aerator has same engine but the carb on the aerator has a 3 position throttle.... kill-mid-high.

....anyhow my take on the TurfMaster vs TimeMaster is why on earth would I spend $1800 on a mower with only a niche capacity....?

It can't mow in a down pour like the Ybravo yet has a nicer cut in ideal conditions. The cut quality is the same as the TurfMaster since the deck is the same. Only difference I can tell is the optional. mulch baffle. I flat out recommend getting the TurfMaster blades for use on the consumer TimeMaster 30.

The foot print on soggy turf is less with my BOP Dually mowers than the ybravo25 or TimeMaster and even at reduced rpm (dually BOP) when mulching is still faster. My second pass is at full throttle and I jog run behind the BOP dually mowers on smaller tighter lawns. Cut quality is outstanding doing this following method. 1st pass reduced rpm then last pass full throttle.

It's a tight looking cut with the Bop mowers and in all honesty I have zero intention of getting a Walker or some obese overweight WB or a ZTR from another manufacture that is going to rut up my lawns. Worse yet a Wright stander 32 rut fest or a Gravely 34 Pro stance at 700#.

Still waking up....gotta run.....

#17 ·
Can't stow a TurfMaster 30 Exmark/Toro like this. :drinkup:

Mower in front of TimeMaster is a Q36 Dually fwiw.

No I'm not done with plywood sides yet....:hammerhead:

Floor is Duraliner in Gray in case you're wondering. :rolleyes:
Exact, would you mind posting more pictures of your setup, mowers, truck, and work, if not in this segment, in the pictures section?

#18 ·
Exact, would you mind posting more pictures of your setup, mowers, truck, and work, if not in this segment, in the pictures section?
When I'm all caught up with stuff....it might happen.

It still have considerable work to do on my enclosed trailer interior and a aluminum flatbed to install on my classic 85 Toyota 4x4.

I'm honestly pretty backed up with deferred vehicle maintenance issues as well.

I really need some down time....
Posted via Mobile Device

#19 ·
When I'm all caught up with stuff....it might happen.

It still have considerable work to do on my enclosed trailer interior and a aluminum flatbed to install on my classic 85 Toyota 4x4.

I'm honestly pretty backed up with deferred vehicle maintenance issues as well.

I really need some down time....
Posted via Mobile Device
Down time:laugh: Not till December 15th for me.

#20 ·
Exact, how is the Timemaster holding up? Am on the fence between a commercial unit and one the Timemaster.
I am a homeowner, not a contractor. I bought my Timemaster brand new last Spring. It is currently in the shop. The motor is shot due to some platic part (don't remember what the tech said it was....sorry) failing. I have 13 hours on the machine according to the hour meter I installed the day I bought it. I think I'm done with Toro. Can't see spending $1000 on something that lasted a year before the engine failed. I'd like to think I am the exception, but plastic parts serving critical roles inside engines is not exactly reassuring.

I mow my 1/3 acre of fairly dense bluegrass and the motor I feel has always been underpowered. I can't imagine contractors getting any longevity out of these units given the amount of use they will put them through. I'm not sure what I'll replace it with, but I can't see myself keeping this machine. The commercial version (Exmark) has not convinced me it is a substantially better machine worthy of its $700 premium over the Timemaster.

Kinda interesting because when I asked the members on this forum for an opinion on what to buy last year, nearly everyone said "buy used commercial." I wished I would have maybe given that more consideration. But, a lot of you have gone out and bought this unit for your fleet despite your own advice to me to do otherwise. Hope this unit works out for you guys....I am really disappointed with it.

GW

#21 ·
I am a homeowner, not a contractor. I bought my Timemaster brand new last Spring. It is currently in the shop. The motor is shot due to some platic part (don't remember what the tech said it was....sorry) failing. I have 13 hours on the machine according to the hour meter I installed the day I bought it. I think I'm done with Toro. Can't see spending $1000 on something that lasted a year before the engine failed. I'd like to think I am the exception, but plastic parts serving critical roles inside engines is not exactly reassuring.

I mow my 1/3 acre of fairly dense bluegrass and the motor I feel has always been underpowered. I can't imagine contractors getting any longevity out of these units given the amount of use they will put them through. I'm not sure what I'll replace it with, but I can't see myself keeping this machine. The commercial version (Exmark) has not convinced me it is a substantially better machine worthy of its $700 premium over the Timemaster.

Kinda interesting because when I asked the members on this forum for an opinion on what to buy last year, nearly everyone said "buy used commercial." I wished I would have maybe given that more consideration. But, a lot of you have gone out and bought this unit for your fleet despite your own advice to me to do otherwise. Hope this unit works out for you guys....I am really disappointed with it.

GW
I’d like to know exactly what part broke on your engine. :confused:

A few of the Personal Pace drives didn’t work right last year either. This same basic Briggs engine is on Turfco aerators....? It’s also on my Lawn Solutions aerator.

As of yet nobody has given a comparison between the TurfMaster and Time Master power wise or an any other front....?.....?

Honestly if my TimeMaster 30 died I’d probably by another ASAP. It’s notably lighter than the commercial version and the Personal Pace makes it ridiculously easy to use except on up and down hills. On those types of lawns that are small and/or forced to bag... I grab my yBravo 25.

For the record I use Castrol 0w-30 which is a true “SL” rated oil not the weak sister SN & SM newer spec oils with less ZDDP. Since the Time Master races up to max rpm immediately just makes sense.

I just can’t see spending $1700+ on a commercial mower that can’t bag grass in the rain like my yBravo 25 can. I can mow and bag wet damp grass with the higher lift commercial blades to a point on the Time Master but nothing like the yBravo 25. Still..... unless the cut quality is somehow better on the commercial model...no thanks.

The shear speed of my Dually BOP mowers and flat manicured cut quality blows away both the Time Master 30 and the yBravo. Again for my use and purposes I don’t see the TurfMaster as being worth the extra $. Both the Time Master and yBravo 25 are niche mowers.

I refuse to use 21's.

#22 ·
Exact, you don't feel that a more reliable engine+better frame, heavier duty wheels, and spin-off oil filtration, is worth a little more? I would shell out the extra $700 for the turfmaster in a heartbeat if I knew the transmission was reliable. To me it would serve as more than a niche mower as it is really the perfect size for about 40 of my lawns. Also the weird belt slapping noise that some have described during operation is a concern. I would honestly use this mower on a lot of the yards I now mow with the Quick 36. I love the 36, but carrying the accelerator bagger with heavy wet grass to my truck is killing my back. I would actually like to spring for the turfmaster and the timemaster. Then I could give you a comparison.:waving:

#23 ·
Been pondering this issue more. Honestly if I had to use my yBravo25 and/or TimeMaster 30 as my main mowers and NOT have the use of my Dually Q32, 36 and 44. I'd begin to phase out of mowing completely and just do applications and aerations.

My Q36 Single is too blasted slow on bigger lawns and yes hauling off clippings really is a back killer with these mowers. You have to mulch with these mowers. I got to the point I just did it and gave zero option. Hauling off clippings is a waste and I only do it regularly on smallish tiny lawns where old folks want it mowed shorter and hauled off. TimeMaster 30 all the way on those tiny lawns. Heavy rain.yBravo25 and bagged.

BOP dually mowers are a joy to use. The Q32 is the Best bagger. Q36 is okay with the SCAG blades and I don't bag with the Q44 at all. Just not well suited for bagging at all IMO.

I'm here in the land of Walker Mowers and I refuse to bag large lawns. Total pita and shear waste of Nitrogen.

Here there are tons of Huge piles of clippings in trailers and truck beds...:hammerhead:

I'd like to demo an Exmark and Toro Commercial on an area with mixed.terrain and hills and get to the bottom of this.
:waving:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.