Toro TimeMaster 30 vs Exmark Commercial 30 vs Toro Commercial 30 vs yBravo 25

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Yes by all means get the TurfMaster blades. Roughly $20 per blade from dealers. As of yet I have not found a discount online source...?

There needs to be some clarity from the dealers on the blade differences. Yes they look very similar but the added lift helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Platinum2

Platinum2 LawnSite Member

Perhaps, but somehow MTD, Billy Goat, and Ariens (all consumer models, I know) have managed to find a way to put 10-14HP motors on their mowers and still be in the $1500-$1800 range. Neither the Timemaster, Turfmaster, or Exmark "Commercial" 30" have provided this power, yet cost the same (exception is the Timemaster which costs the least of the three as you already know). One might say the Turfmaster/Exmark is built stronger and that is probably true. But all the strength in the world does not matter if the engine is not up to the task of tackling larger jobs that wide cuts are supposed to handle. I think Toro could have, at the very least, put a 10HP B&S motor on the Timemaster, priced it at $1400 and had something much better. They could have done the same with the Turfmaster/Exmark but used a Kawi or Honda and priced that at $1800 and been fine.

GW

3. Exact Rototilling

I'm considering tweaking the throttle governor for higher rpm.

Just wish this mower had an actual throttle....:rolleyes:
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Platinum2

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this with my dealer.

GW

5. Exact Rototilling

If you look at motor oils for motor cycles it will even state service ratings of SG. The older service ratings had more ZDDP and that is a zinc based anti wear additive that helps on metal to metal contact. Modern automotive oil have more friction modifiers that CAN cause issues with wet clutches.

I really like M1 15w-50 and I'm almost out. Walmart quit stocking 5 quart jugs. :hammerhead: This flavor of oil in fact has one of the highest ZDDP levels in a SN/SM oil.

I also like the Mobil 1 high Mileage 10w-30 still SL and the 10w-40 this one has changed to SN/SM.

Almost forgot ZDDP levels have been dropped from their glory days in a effort to save catalytic converters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but ZDDP level were highest in automotive oil when the standard SG and SJ.

Lawnaspire,

Didn't you have a TimeMaster last year...?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Exact pm me please.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks 4 the oil breakdown. no pun intended. very imformative. i never owned the timemaster but am obsessed with info about the comm versions as a 30 inch mower with rear bagger could define the future of my business as i am leaning more toward smaller lawns and trying to weed out larger ones with more fuel consumption. i may pull the trigger on turfmaster nxt month but dont want to be another victim of the industry
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you increase the rpms on these machines? Is it by tightening the governor spring like on my honda? Also I thought I'd say that weight would never be an adjustment for me as I am used to muscleling around the single hydro Quick 36 which has actually helped my biceps over the years. Any added weight with commercial versions would probably be not noticable after using Quick 36:walking:

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

FWIW, the Billy Goat comes in at 240 lbs...and is a 3 speed with reverse...but it only cuts up to 3.5" or 4" only if you're mulching(?). In the online video it appears the operator is out for a VERY leisurely stroll, pretty amusing actually. :laugh:

Hopefully Toro/ExMark will get these bugs worked out by the time my Q32s have bit the dust. OR, I PRAY someone buys BOP and resurrects the whole lineup.

10. Platinum2

Are you implying that you don't think the Billy Goat HP3400 is a good homeowner unit? Just curious because I will likely ditch the Timemaster and go for something more powerful. I will not go commercial because they are overkill for my purposes and require more space to store than I have. So I will likely consider the Billy Goat HP3400, Ariens/Gravely WAW34, Simplicity Pacer, or Cub Cadet 760ES as a suitable Timemaster replacement. As a homeowner, I think either of these would be fine, just trying to determine the best of the bunch.

GW

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013