1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro TimeMaster 30 vs Exmark Commercial 30 vs Toro Commercial 30 vs yBravo 25

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 14, 2013.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

what do you mean by keyed at the blade? i don't understand your description of the repair you did? the blade washer, yes , but keyed?
  2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

My Timemaster has some belt slap when engaging the blades/heavy cutting. Anyone know how to to adjust the idler?
  3. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The toro and exmark are virtually the same!
  4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

On the TimeMaster and TurfMaster there is an aluminum blade key/washer that retains and aligns the blade to the spindle. If this is accidentally installed incorrectly it can result in what is described.

5. stansoph

stansoph LawnSite Member

Remove front lower cowl cover. You will see the idler pulley. Find the cable. Adjust the cable sleeve similar to the drive adj cable. This should take out a bit of slop. If you tighten the cable too much the BBC brake shoe will not make contact with the spindle pulley to stop the blades when they are disengaged.

I have watched the pulley in action and its a pretty violent movement when blades are engaged. I have been able to reduce some slop but not eliminate the contact from the pulley on the cover cowling. It is a cowling size and fit issue more than a pulley problems. I really don't think it is worth the time and effort to adjust the cable. YMMV.

Other than it being annoying, I don't feel it is an issue for the long term health of the machine.

It does make me a bit miffed that they should have designed it a bit better to avoid this; especially on a new, expensive mower.

If it was me I would leave it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Will do as you suggest.
  7. keith.heckman

keith.heckman LawnSite Member

I had the Timemaster 30 for 1 year and 1 day. Had to get rid of it because it didn't have the power to cut my Zoysia. I could only cut it over 2.5", but couldn't get it down to 1.75 or 2" where it needed to be. I was interested to know if the commercial Kawasaki 180 would be any better. One of the local dealers told me that it was still only a 6.5 hp motor and probably wont do any better than the timemaster. I ended up buying a Toro Commercial 36" WB. Unfortunately that was a jump from $1,000.00 to $4150.00. OUCHHHHHHHHHH! But at least it works and cuts like a charm......
  8. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I sold the ExMark 32" and bought a Timemaster yesterday. That was a rude awakening. It works wonderfully as long as I'm on perfectly flat ground. The damned thing won't even pull itself up a slight incline though. I can't imagine how much I'm going to hate it once it has a few hours on it.
  9. Platinum2

Platinum2 LawnSite Member

My sentiments exactly. My Timewaster has no power. The Kawasaki engine is for longevity/durability only. It actually makes less power than the B&S. You can look at the power curves from each manufacturer and verify for yourself by visiting their websites. I am a homeowner and can't ditch my Timewaster fast enough.

10. Platinum2

Platinum2 LawnSite Member