Toro Timemaster has answered a lot of my problems.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by instyle, Mar 8, 2012.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

30" = 40% faster. Where is the drawback?

A lot of people on this site are saying "it is a consumer model", I say big fricken deal!

Currently I run 5 - Honda HRX 21" mowers (cunsumer model) 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I need more staff this year.

Here is the math:

5 FT employees = $2700/month (taxes in) = $13500 in payroll each month

I can give 3 of my guys a Timemaster and they can cut the same amount of grass. So....3 FT employees @ $2700 = $8100

Result: I save $5400 PER MONTH.

I can buy a new mower for each employee...every month and still come out ahead! (I am guessing they will last 1 season)

In my area, our grass must be bagged, we can't really mulch, I own a 36" walker walk behind, and I rarly use it.

People say "it will be underpowered" yet nobody who has one says it is. It has 2 - 15 blades. I am assuming it takes the same power to spin 2 - 15" blades as oppsed to 1- 21' blade. Think about your weed wacker....the shorter the stringthe faster it can spin.

I will buy 4 timemasters, I will buy extra transmissions, wheels, blades and belts, and in my honest opinion, come out ahead! With less man power related head aches!

Ps: I am not a noobie at this. lol

Comments??

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Comments? Yes. What is the point? If you have enough business for three fulltime employees, why would you purchase new mowers that you think will only last one season? Why not buy full commercial mowers that will probably create less downtime, have two year warranties, and will likely last several years if you service them regularly?

In my opinon, your thinking is flawed. If you were a newbie just starting out, with limited business and resources, I can see the "crawl before you walk" mentality, but I don't see why anyone experienced in business would purchase a consumer mower for anything other than occasional use. A 21 inch mower is a far cry from a Z. Not much to go wrong with a 21, lots to go wrong with a Z.

3. instyle

from Canada

Fact of the matter is....everyone here runs 21" mowers, everyone! Our yards are 5000 sqft. Meaning everyone runs Honda HRX mowers - they will only last 2 years at best. They are a lot lighter less taxing than the commercial HRC, which might last 5 years.

Even then....40% time savings....what I spend in equipment cost, I will save double in labour. Plus, I have new machines every year (which is fun), and the operators of these machines will not suffer the mind numbing mentality they all get after being on one site too long.

4. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

What % of your day is spent mowing? Only 40% or so of that time is saved, I'm not sure the math is quite so straight forward...

But if it works for you- great!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

Made up my mind I'm getting one. I have one guy I call in to help me but he works but has no eye for precision. I can get rid of him get things done right and come out ahead not having to pay him. Its the American way make more use less people

6. instyle

from Canada

We have very large condo complex's, some take 6 hours, just to cut (with 4-21"'s). 80% of our day is spent mowing. so we'll save 40% of 80%......awesome!

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

If your lawns are only 5,000 square feet, why not go to walk-behinds? A 36 inch WB would increase productivity tremendously and likely give a better cut than a Timecutter.

8. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe faster but better cut not sure about that. Screw it I'm going to buy one today and I will try to keep up with hours and lawns mowed. I bet you see all the other makers come out with something like this in a year or two I bet. Americans always want the fastest, largest, noisiest, coolest thing out there. I bet the profit margin on this is huge as well for the maker.

9. billpiper

billpiper LawnSite Member

I had a $600 (new, consumer grade) 21" Honda HRX that lasted 6 years with no major repairs with occaisional use. A timecutter for $1000 that's 40% more efficient, if it held up like that Honda, would be a much better deal. With 2 blades, the Timecutter would be a more complicated machine, but I expect you could get 2 or 3 years out of it - for occaisional use. Maybe by then Some one will come out with a commercial grade similar machine. For my really small lawns, I can throw the Timecutter in the pick-up with the Kombi and the blower and go cut grass. Can't do that with the 36" - at least not easily.

A commercial 32" - 36" WB is $3K for a belt drive & $4.5K to 5K for a Hydro. For occaisional use, it would probably last until I die. It weighs at least 400 lb, uses more gas and is definitely a more complicated machine than the Timecutter.

Cut quality - one guy on here has bought and used a timecutter and he says it cuts good. I'm thinking of buying one because I think it fits my needs, instead of another consumer grade 21" simply because it ups my production for what I need it for.

10. instyle

from Canada

I don't get it, tremendously??? How, is because they are faster? How do they bag??? This is a 30" rear bagger, and that to me is the important part.

I have 4 Timemasters on order, I will be putting hour meters on them, so I can track this seasons performance. So long as the quality of cut is there....I don't see a problem.

Not to mention 4 timemasters will cost the same as a single WB (maybe a bit more), and the timemaster will be easier to train a guy on, and not tear the grass with new operators.