Toro Timemaster motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Yokalow, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Yokalow

Yokalow LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried or know details on repowering the timemaster? I've been pondering the possibility of repowering it with a Briggs 344, or a kawa. ...or commercial grade 12hp+ motor.

I'm not sure why all the companies seem to have have drawn a line using a max 190cc motor on the "push mowers" and then using bigger motors on the walkbehind. It seems the 30" could use a larger motor combined with the turfmaster blades or gator blades. Just curious if it's been talked about before and if it was successful.

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf master blades are the same as timemaster aren't they. I have both machines. I haven't noticed a difference

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Jaybrown, at one time the Timemaster had a lower lift blade than the Turfmaster.

Yokalow, I've been trying to find a larger engine as well. The Kawi on the Turfmaster would probably be enough but would like other options in the 8-9 hp range.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

4. Yokalow

Yokalow LawnSite Member

Not exactly what I was looking for but it could be useful. I found this review posted on the home depot website.

—————————————————————————————————————————

First off I work on small engines and lawn mowers as a hobby, so that has allowed me to come into using this product with knowledge of potential ways to negate a lot of its perceived weaknesses.

Here's what I've found:

Deck Clogging:
    Adjusting the rear of the mower one notch above the front of the mower (or dropping the front of the mower one setting, whatever you want to do) does make a huge difference. For most people this is probably enough to see a huge benefit when mulching. You'll also see a general higher quality of cut, and this is coming from someone who cuts thick St. Augustine grass at 4".Poor

Mulching:
    If you're still experiencing poor mulching, throw on the Turfmaster (the commercial varient of this model) blades and you'll see a definite difference. The Turfmaster blades have a slightly higher lift, and it does matter. If you're good with tools and a perfectionist, you can also bend the stock Timemaster blades with a vice and a pair of grips. Just make sure they're all equal in angle. You can get Turfmaster blades for about $38 for the pair, or $45 with shipping included.

Lack of Power:
    Lots of people feel the mower is a bit under-powered. I like to make RPM adjustments on my mowers to gain some substantial power. Typically these mowers are rated for higher RPMs then they come with at stock, I imagine just so they're 'safer' or last longer. My mower engine was just below 3100 RPMs, and with a quick adjustment to the governor arm (you can find videos on youtube on how to do it, it's not very difficult though) I set the RPMs at 3450 and saw an incredible difference in speed and power. Just make sure you have a tachometer and don't go above 3600. I find around 3400 to be the sweet spot between power and longevity.And that's about it. When I made these adjustments they essentially removed every negative the mower had, so now it is basically the perfect mower for me.

—————————————————————————————————————————

Source:
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/Toro-30-in...wn-Mower-with-Electric-Start-20200/203088669/