Toro to Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped by a local dealer today to pick up a tube of grease for the trimmer. As I was going in I noticed a guy eyeballing my Z. He stopped me before I entered and asked me a few questions about it since he had never seen one. Then he went on to explain that he was waiting for them to bring out the new Cub tank he had just bought.

As he was talking he made a jesture to point out to his trailer. Then he said "the Cub is going to be replacing that piece of junk Toro." He went on to say that he had just bought it in March and had been unhappy ever since. After trying a Cub he was sold on it.

I just thought I'd share that since it's not something hear much of. This is especially true here because Cub's are more expensive and less popular to say the least. In fact, when he loaded it behind the Toro, that was the first time I'd ever seen a Cub anywhere but on the showroom floor.

2. Toro to MTD/Lesco/Cub

This and that is that is never said, does he maintain it, what was wrong with it, how does he treat his mower....Does he even know how to use it???????????????????????

Sorry, but this doesn't mean anything.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Come on now LGF, the Toro isn't even 4 months old yet! Maintain it? What, a few oil changes and a daily blade change?

The Toro was there and I got a good look at it. It was in great cosmetic shape. He won't have trouble selling it I don't think. There were no signs of abuse or anything.

This guy way just unhappy about several things to do with the Toro purchase. The whole dealer, parts, support thing was an issue. He suffered too much down time waiting on parts and service. I'd say it's just a lemon as far as needing repairs goes and that happens with all brands. Every MFG has some lemons out there.

However, the biggest issue for him was the cut. He woke up one day and saw the light. Toro's do not do a good job around here. I have never seen a Toro Z leave an acceptable cut in this area. It can't be that everyones issue is operator error or poor maintenace. The larger SFS deck just do not produce a good finish cut around here unless it's dry an not much is being taken off.

The part of this that doesn't make much sense to me is that those 44" WB's seem to do fine. That's confusing to me. But anyways, I could care less one way or the other. I've never even seen a Cub out cutting. So it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I just thought I'd share to story for anyone that might have been interested.

4. We don't know if he has hit a lot of stumps....

No dealer support and mega downtime, I can see that.

Last time I had that problem, one of the demos they had they couldn't find for the 2 weeks while mine was in the shop.
    :D