TORO to heavy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm lookin to buy new equipment this year and in doing so with a couple new accounts I got this year I need something like a 48-52" zero turn that has the ability to bag some area will be tight but a walk behind wont do. I used a john deere 777 with 60" deck on some mid sized lawns and t did alright wasent to heavy but problly at the bax I'd wan't to go in weight however the begging unit took sooo much power from the unit it drove me nuts. To make a long story short I'm looking at 2 toro models one is a 52" deck 28 hp kaw engine that weighs in at 1184lbs without the begger anf the other is the 52" deck 25 hp Diesel model weighing in at 1443lbs. Is the 260 lbs extra to much weight for smaller to mid sized lawns or is the diesel model worth it when it when it somes to bagging fuel economy and cheaper fuel? Any advice would be awsome.

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think the effect of the weight of the mower on the turf has more to do with the tire size than with anything else.

Two mowers of comparable size and weight can leave different cuts...if one has nice big tires to "float" the mower itll cut better. The one with littler tires will most likely rut.

3. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

Both the diesel model and the kaw gas engine model have the same 24x12x12 tires which I believe are the same size as the 777 I have now which weighed in at 1300lbs. I just dont know i'f the extra weight of the diesel is worth it when it comes to bagging obviously it will be more prone to rutting then the gas engine weighing 150lbs more however will I be disappointed with the lack of power the gas engine puts out while bagging like I was with my John Deere. I wish I could demo one however theres obviosly no time :( any more suggestions or insight?

4. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

anybody? with anymoe input????

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Personal preference here, but, I'd get the KAW and avoid the extra weight of the diesel !!

6. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

Anybody who has used either one or both or even better bagged with one of them?

7. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

The weight of the machine really has nothing to do with rutting. The amount of pressure put on the ground is determined by the air pressure in the tire. If you have 15 psi in your tires, you will have an average of 15 psi on the turf. Adding weight to the machine will cause the tire to "squish" more creating more surface area to carry the weight. The ground pressure will remain at 15 psi. The disadvantage is that you are perhaps compacting more soil due to this larger area. This is generally only an issue in fine turfs such as you find on a golf course. The advantage of bigger tires on a given machine is that you can run with lower air pressure because you can have more surface area in contact with the ground. Rutting is due to running too high of pressure. For the machines mentioned you should be able to run the same air pressure and have minimal difference in how they would rut.

8. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the diesel. You won't notice the extra weight but you will appreciate the extra power when you need it. I always say spend a little more and cry once when you buy it or cry every time you need the extra power the diesel will give you. Just my thoughts.

9. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

I understand what your saying but say you have both mowers aired up with the same amount of air you mean to tell me that the diesel model would make the tires squat enough to make up for the differnce in weight?

10. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 60" Toros with the older 27horse liquid cooled kawasaki and the 3 bag bagger units. I have not had any problems with them rutting. I have been pleased with the cut of the Toro and the bagging system works wonderfully.