Toro Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtm45, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jtm45

jtm45 LawnSite Member

I am checking these trimmers out, they have a lot of features for the $, dual piston rings, chrome cylinder,caged bearings on the full crank, forged rod, not as lite as the kaw about in the middle of the pack in weight,low price lotsa toro dealers for maintenance. your opinions appreciated. i ran echos in the past and wasnt happy with them. Tanakas are great but pricey, i had one and lost it- shins and kaws really pricey.;)

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I've got one that gets used for edging mostly............
    Not bad for the money but this one now has a broken choke lever (plastic)(have the curved shaft,straight shaft and edger attachment that I used for a cheap testing opportunity)
    Save your money and buy a stihl,I know they are more expensive but we are very happy with stihl rather than the rest.
    Just my couple of cents worth.

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I've run two older toro weedeaters and they would run!!!!!They were a litttle heavy.Nothing would bog these down at all.:D

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Dave ole mate, in your opinion are Stihl machines generally better than Shindaiwa's?

Performance or price or both?

I'm asking as I have a Honda but next year might get a 4 mix and the choice is Stihl who Odin also recommends or a Shin who many here like too. I've owned both engines and loved both, the Stihl was ordinary until I got a mobile mechanic to tune it properly, now it really goes!

Then again these 4 mixers would want to push out more grunt substantually for me to leave 4 strokes, love the honda, just wish it had a bit more grunt...

Shin has always been the easiest to start in 2 strokes between the 2...

But the honda starts 1st or 2nd pull every time, great little motors!

dunno..

wattayareckon?