1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Tru-Trac Review (In my own words)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cgaengineer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

As some of you may remember, I purchased a Velke from Wright Manufacturing a few months ago and had some problem with the arm being to long for the Toro T2 mower so Wright took my measurements and mower measurements and built me a new shorter arm. I tested this arm and still was not comfortable using the Velke and Wright told me they were going to have to get a T2 in the shop to make an arm that is correct length and angle.

In the meantime I purchased a Toro Tru-Trac and I must say I love it. The Tru-Trac is very well made, just like the mower it is installed on. It weights approximately 80 pounds and has all parts needed to install to a current production hydro or gear drive. After installation you can easily remove the two individual wheels/stands with a quick release clevis ring which only leaves the pivot axle installed. Both stands can also fold up into mower and be attached with two provided cables allowing transport off trailer and/or mowing in conventional methods...walking.

What should have been provided and or made an option at time of purchase was additional weights needed after installation due to the units weight. On my 40" mower I have one weight installed from factory, but require 3 additional weights bringing total weight up to about 60 pounds in the front. Without these weights installed and only the factory installed weight remaining, the mower will wheelie and it makes it very difficult to mow any grade/slope. You can baby the mower without weights and cut a flat surface pretty easily but is not something you would want to do for very long.

Additional weight as side my finding are as follows:

1) Very easy to control
    2) Very comfortable for me to use even though I am short.
    3) You must be careful using this stand because since it is actually part of the mower your clearance in the rear is reduced.
    4) Independent suspension
    5) Three length settings for shorter/taller people
    6) Increases productivity
    7) Easy to remove if you want to use mower without it
    8) Folds up close to handle while still allowing control as a walk-behind.
    9) Very heavy duty
    10) Built to last with grease zerks on all moving parts
    11) Pneumatic tires, pressure is to be set at 50 psi, but if you messed around you could probably lower pressure for a more comfortable ride.
    12) You will need weights on front...I dont care what manual says.

Attached are a few pictures of the Tru-Trac installed on my mower. These are some of the best pictures you will find of this setup so look no further. If someone would like to get measurements to adapt to another brand mower let me know what dimensions you need and I will provide them.

Fell free to ask any questions about the Tru-Trac
  2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

looks like a nice set up, how does the mower handle with the tru track?
  3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

if they moved the caster weels in so your weight was centered over where the castor wheel makes contact with the ground you would not need weights in the front.
  4. cgaengineer

You are probably right.
  5. cgaengineer

Aside from being to light in the front without the three weights that have yet to arrive it handles good and is really going to be fun to use. I can actually turn better with the Tru-Trac installed then when walking.
  6. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

It's wider then the mower? what happens if you got a gate that you can just barely squeeze through and then you put on the tru trak?

Very expensive, I forgot how much but they're like 600 bucks here in canada. It looks nice and I used to envy these set ups but now I'm thinking I want to sit down for big yards.
  7. cgaengineer

As far as the width, no I would have to say the caster's stick out a bit more then the outer treads of the tires, but it doesn't stick out past the deck so it can go where mower goes, if not it can easily be removed. Yes, at $600 it is a bit expensive, but its the Cadillac of Velkes for sure.
  8. cgaengineer

The bar that the stand-on mount to is narrower then the wheelbase.
  9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to ask, but how much did you pay for everything(mower and sulky accesories and tax)???
  10. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you buy your mower from Larrys?