Toro Tru Trak

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spalmer97, Mar 24, 2003.

1. spalmer97

spalmer97 LawnSite Member

Anyone have a Tru Trak sulky...How do you like it and does it work with the T-Bar? Thanks to all of your responses to TBAR vs Pistol Grip. I am leaning towards a Toro 36" Proline TBAR WB and was considering the Tru Trak if it would work out. Thanks again...JP

2. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

Hi I,ve had a 36" T-BAR hyro floating deck for over 3 years with a 2 wheel Velke. very nice set up. I hear that the TRU TRAK adds a lot of weight to the mowers back end. If this is true you may want to rethink this option. The 36 is already very light in the front (if it is the same model as ours).If it is a new model be very aware of the tires tearing the turf. We tried 2 mowers last year (Toro T-BAR hydros) and took both back for full refund. No matter what we could not stop it from tearing up to turf. Way to touchy..

good luck.

Marty

3. spalmer97

Marty...It is a Fixed deck Gear Drive...Why do you think it was tearing up the turf...Because of the velke?

4. spalmer97

It would be a new 2003 model...

5. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Tru Trak is nice for riding, but when in the up mode it tends to crash around and bash you in the shins. I have a first year model though, so maybe its been redesigned. Backs up well and I don't notice the weight on our 44" hydro.

Matt

6. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

let me put it this way.

What I know: As of last year the 2002 or maybe the 2001 (hydro)models were very bad for tearing with or without the velke.

Don't know about 2003 gear drive.

What i've been told: the TRU-TRAK was more weight and used more power from the wheels to turn it sincec it is ridged behind the mower. less movement, less flow in a turn. I was told that they are more ap to cause the drive tires to tear in a turn than the velke.

I don't know. It's just what I have been told (by someone who had one and took it back).

7. spalmer97

Great to know...Thanks! Not sure I want to get 'bashed in the shins" all day because I'd probably have it up half the time... Anyone know how much they cost?

8. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

When buying my 52" Toro walk-behind, the salesman let me try the tru-trak sulkie on a 36 Toro behind his shop. I personally did not like the sulkie at all. The reason is because when you turn, it "swings" you around and you can definately feel the extra weight on the back of the mower. After testing the sulkie, I know i would never buy that type of sulkie. I guess it would be nice on a hydro, but i don't think it would be worth the high price. I've use the "jungle-wheels" sulkie and like them much better. Just my .02........

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I hear

Right there is where you should stop listening.

I have this mower.

A Toro 36" Hydro drive with the Toro Tru-Trak and I love it. Forwards/backwards instantly, Tru-Trak folds up and out of the way, independent suspension, independently castering wheels, grease points. It's a fine unit, a little expensive, but I don't regret buying it. It's a great addition to my machine. I have not used one on a belt drive machine so I won't comment. But I have it on my hydro and it pulls me (155 lbs.) no problem.

No balance problems, I feel the weight it adds is so low to the ground it does not make the deck want to pop up.

Test it out for yourself.

Good Lord gentlemen, the man's first line in his post was...."anyone have a Tru-Trak?" and so far he's heard from a bunch of wanna be's, not you Kohl's and Qualey, you both have either demo'd or own one. Thanks for your comments.

dsc00153.jpg

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

The tru trak sounds like a great way to have a two wheel castering sulky. Two wheels means no 3rd middle stripe. The independent wheels mean you'll have less side to side jostling, and the castering type means faster turns on sturdy turf that can take the extra force required. I dont' use walk behinds enough to justify the price, though, and I use em in tight spots, which means my velke is probably handier.