Toro Turbo Force Deck leaks grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeSp, Jun 30, 2007.

1. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

Purchased a new Z Master 589 with the Turbo Force deck. The mower cuts very smooth and the moveable baffle beneath the deck seems to work OK. BUT -- even though the Turbo Force deck is advertised as a "fully welded" deck, it has a small gap around much of the rear between the top and the backside since that area is just spotwelded, leaving just enough of a gap that grass catches in there and sticks out. IMHO, this invites rust.

QUESTION -- Do ALL Turbo Force decks have this gap (about 1/16 inch) since they were not actually "fully welded"???

MikeSp

2. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, my deck is one piece ,main deck is a flat sheet steel folded front and rear .The only section that is not is not part of this is on the non discharge side [to block that side of deck ] .All other pieces are brackets ,rubbing strips ,front leading edge ,discharge side reinforcement.
    post pics if u can

tomo:waving:

3. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

Tomo -- the newest Turbo Force deck is a two piece deck -- the top which curves down to become the front and the sides and back which are spot welded at various locations to the top which leaves about a 1/16 inch gap along the back of the deck where grass sticks out after mowing -- I will try to get a picture posted (have not tried to do so on this forum yet). IMHO, it should have been full welded along the entire backside as advertised.

MikeSp

4. ccondie

ccondie LawnSite Member

I got one of hte new trubo force 52" decks and do not have nay problems with it leaking grass. Do any of your guys have the baffle that you can shut when mowing around beds and suck so that the grass does not go in to the beds? I was thinking about getting it.

5. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

Looking at the back edge of your Turbo Force deck, is it FULLY welded or spot welded and is the fit so tight that no grass was able to stick out?? I am trying to get a handle on this situation before pressing Toro about it. Thanks for any help.

MikeSp

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

mines an 05 turbo force. Never seen any gap.

Cuts good but had some spindle issues. Most was a bad casting of that housing and then a less than quality dealer servicing the spindles. Since then they have all be replaced with complete new units at toros expense.

A note on the quick chutes. I been thinking about one too but decided to go with the full recycler kit. I did used to have a plate I would bolt over in the exising holes to block off the blades when I used it in sensitive areas. I noticed it would leave a strip of clippings behind. Right now my rubber chute is torn and leaves a few clumps in heavy st augustine I just ordered a new one.

Run down to your toro dealer and see if you see the gap your talking about.

7. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

This morning, I checked every deck at the dealer and all were very snug between the top and the back side and therefore would not leak grass clippings. OTOH, one that I previously tried out in a field next to the dealer also DID leak grass clippings the same way.

My conclusion is that there must be variations in quality control in the assembly and welding of the Turbo Force decks and that they are not fully welded on the backside.:dizzy:

MikeSp

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if it were mine and I had tried getting the dealer to do something about this and Toro wouldn't rectify this obvious defect in workmanship. Here's what I would do if I had no skills in welding --- run a bead of silicone to close the gap.

I do have some skill in welding and two welders. One is a MIG and I would use it.

Just trying to give you an idea.

Nosmo

9. MikeSp

MikeSp LawnSite Member

I have no skills at welding (durnit), but I DO have skills at running a bead of silicon to close the gap and that is exactly what I did before the second mowing. Since Toro's online customer service seems to be stonewalling, I had my dealer contact the district rep and am awaiting his call next week -- frankly, with the false advertising about "fully welded deck" I prefer to return the Toro and obtain a full refund and then purchase an eXmark, Hustler or Scag, all of which have fully welded decks and are the same price (give or take a few cents).

MikeSp

10. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just keep after that dealer let him know you did not buy that mower from Toro but it was he who made the sale.

If Toro wants to keep him as a dealer they'll back him up in dealing with a dissatisfied customer -- who by the way does have a genuine gripe.

Nosmo