Toro Turbo Force, Scag Velocity decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

All right Exmark, Hustler, and Cub have their share of reviews (mixed) I want to hear from those of you running the new Toro Turbo Force and Scag Velocity decks in thick Northern grass, weeds, crabgrass, etc (damp, wet, and dry conditions). Hearing how they cut in Florida and the Carolina's isn't really what I'm looking for. I want to know how they do in nasty lush Northern grass mixes, overgrown grass, or spring time growth. You guys are way to quiet. I would appreciate you going ahead and slamming them and running them down before I buy something next year. If you could just tell me they are all pieces of crap that will save me alot of money next year. This sounds sarcastic but it hard to hear about a deck that is not praised by one group of LCO's and trashed by another. I would apprecitate any honest responses that I can get. I'm sure I'll hear from Realslow even though he lives in Florida which is OK. I don't care who comments but these are the conditions that I'm interested in. Extreme mowing we'll call it. Wet yards, bi-weekly yards, Spring growth, etc. Because I have to do it all. Yes you in the deep or coastal South comment but just understand that I'm more interested in what they will do in Northern grasses, weeds, etc. I know "Scag Rules" or "Scag Rocks" , I've done heard those statements..

signsPA110906_228x283.jpg

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Scag Turf Tiger with a Velocity deck. We mainly cut Bermuda and Zyosia. But we also cut some lawn that have a lot of weeds. It discharges evenly and I don't think it require as much hp as our other Scag with a advantage deck.

3. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got the Toro Z master. 23 HP Diesel, turbo force deck. Works well in anything, just yesterday I cut 2 lawns that had not been taken care of in at least a month. It was wet and thick grass. I cut it down to 3.5 inches, then raised the deck up to its highest setting, double cut the clippings and clumps, looked good.

4. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Z master as well with a 52" turbo force deck and a 19Hp Kawasaki.
    it does a great job in dry grass, most of my lawns are fescue or Zyosia and when dry it spreads clippings very well. Even when the grass is high like Pletro said lift your deck up higher and double cut the clippings or start high then go lower an it spreads them out very well.
    In wet grass I've had mixed results, if it's not very wet (like a light dew) then it does a decent job unless the grass is high then it kinda pukes globs out here and there. If it is really wet (like a heavy dew early in the morning) it seems to roll out in big globs, but raise your deck and do a double cut and you'll be good to go. Or just hang out at the breakfast shop a bit longer in the morning!

5. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

One thing nobody mentions, and I use it frequently. Everybody knows the turf tiger and sabretooth tiger use a drive shaft to drive the mower deck. And your thinking "so what?" So I can and do mow at 6" when necessary. Over trash, rocks, 2x4's, water mains, stumps etc and keep on rollin. Belt driven decks cannot cut that high.

6. tacoma200

I knew they would cut high but didn't know the reason?

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a wildcat with the new velocity deck is seems it feathers the clippings better thumbs up on scag.

8. tacoma200

Hey Mow Pro, there is a guy in Richmond (saw it in the heavy equipment trader magazine) that has a newer Scag Turf Tiger, 27 lc 60" for sale. That's just up the road from you. Says he's getting out of the business, 100 hrs $8,000. If he were a little closer I'd give it a test.

9. moverton

moverton LawnSite Member

Tacoma,

I am no trying still your thread justing wanting to hear yours and others thoughts on the toro. I read alot on the hustler, scag, and lesco but not much information concerning the toro. Are they not the top quality? Me being new hear I hope this is not a stupid question. Thank You.

10. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I think this will link you to a review I did when I bought my current Toro with TurboForce deck. Don't have the hour meter numbers off the top of my head but I'm still very happy with it a few years later...and I cut a lot of wet, thick stuff...sometime even grass! Good luck, Will M>

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=55630