Toro v Bad Boy v Ferris = ZTR decisions...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by georgeyaj, Apr 13, 2010.

1. georgeyaj

georgeyaj LawnSite Member

I need some opinions. I have about 4 acres of grass to mow at my new house. I don't know much about mowers but I just want a good machine that will last. I've been around to the locals dealers and here are my 3 finalists:

Bad Boy Pup 5200
    31hp Kaw 52" deck
    -I like the deck

Ferris IS 1500Z
    25hp Kaw 52" deck
    -I like the suspension

Toro Z Master Z400
    21hp Kaw 52" deck
    -I like the deck

They are about the same price range. The Bad Boy and Toro are from the same dealer that is about 5 miles away from my house. The Ferris dealer is about 20 miles away. Both dealers were very helpful and all 3 mowers seem to be great machines. I just want some opinions on them. Thanks!

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Don't have any direct experience with any of those models, but the order you listed them looks pretty good to me. Always been a believer in the motto "You can never have too much HP."

3. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Use a JD 757 w/ a 60" deck, full-time mulch, 25hp. In spring there are times it can bog t can, in very very dense tall grass, begin to bog. cutting about 45-50" strips solves it.

I'd not want less then 25hp on a 52" deck.

My yard is pool table smooth.. I can fly. My neighbors is quite rough and is a hassle to cut on a z. I don't know that suspension would help, but..

Personally, I'd ask to try them all.

btw, which one is easier to get the deck off of?

4. lukem

lukem LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just bought a bad boy pup 6000 w/ 31 Kaw to mow my 4 acres. I couldn't be happier with it. The cut is great and it has tons of power to spare. I bought a low hour used one. I have about 10 hours of seat time on it and have no complaints.