Toro vs. Exmark, is there a difference anymore?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bmoorefield, Mar 14, 2012.

1. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

I have only used Toro so I don’t really know from experience. The Exmark almost looks identical from appearance. Is the Turbo force deck and Ultra Cut different or just a different name?

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Turbo Force has a handle to adjust the built in baffles under the deck, depending on the conditions you are cutting.

Ultra cut- somebody else will need to address that. I've never read anything negative about either deck type though.

3. bmoorefield

The baffle is a nice feature on the turbo force deck. I'm just curious about the differences.

4. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I honestly do not think theres a difference, I just changed some filters today off my exmarks and they had Toro filters on it. most of the fluid capacities and sizes are all the same too.

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The machines are basically identical. The decks are the only difference. Spindles and belts and anything to do with the decks are different.

Same goes for walkbehinds. Same except for decks on pistol grip models. Exmark has their ECS controls while Toro has their T-Bar and whatever the hydro version is called.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

the Toro deck is garbage the Exmark deck is amazing That's the difference.

7. bmoorefield

GoldPro, you have obviously been around the block on this site. Can you be a little more discriptive on how you know from your own experience. And what year models are you talking about for the Exmark and Toro? What didnt you like about the Toro deck?

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I can only comment on the thick northern grasses we have, My buddy had a 60 inch Toro z-master with the turbo force deck and it was a complete pile of crap as far as decks go. It never left a good cut, It always clumped, never spread the grass out good enough. It cut worse then my Triton deck did before i modified it. IMO its old technology and needs a revamp.

The best deck i have owned is by far the Ultra cut deck.