Toro vs. Exmark vs. Hustler vs. Gravely

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYSCAPER, Apr 5, 2005.

Which brand do you prefer?

1. Toro

2. Exmark

3. Hustler

4. Gravely

NYSCAPER LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting these machines, could you guys please give me your opinions on prices and the machines, as well as what is the BIGGEST difference between Exmark and Toro I know Toro owns Exmark but there seems to be build differences. From what I can tell the seem to have different decks and front ends of the ZTRs. All these machines have good dealer support in my area. I am just looking for the best cut, I have taken all machines on a demo, and have to say that the Hustler is very smooth. I am just having a hard time making a decision on machines. I will be choosing only one brand, I like to keep all my stuff the same. Thanks.

All prices are excluding Tax:

Z500 27KOH/60" $8650
    Z440 23KAW/48" $7419
    WB Classic T-bad Hydro 15KOH/36" $ 5208

Lazer Z 27KOH/60" $9099
    Lazer ZHP 23KAW/48'' $ 6899
    WB TT HP 15KAW/36'' $4799

Super Z 27KOH/60'' $8095
    Super Mini 23KAW/44'' $6895
    WB 15KAW/37'' $4599
    Standup 15KAW/36'' $4399

260z H 27KOH/60'' $7995
    148z H 21KAW/48" $6499
    WB PRO H 1536 15KAW/36" 2995

All mowers are new no demos.

NYSCAPER LawnSite Member

The Exmark Lazer Zhp 48'' is a 19hp KAW for $6899. Thanks
  3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

The difference in the Toro and the eXmark is the 'deck' ...the eXmark may offer the best cut of all, especially mulching...but...

After demoing all the above, I chose the SuperZ with a 28 EFI, for ~$8000. Damn, it's a sweet mo-chine :cool2:
  4. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Is the price on the Gravely WB correct? That is low for a hydro.
  5. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

You may be able to do better on the price of the Toro Z440 -- I was able to purchase a Z453 (23 Kaw, 52") last fall with mulching kit for $7050 b/4 tax. The LazerZ HP and the Z440/450 series share a lot of components; that exact question was asked and answered a while back on the Exmark manufacturer site. As to the biggest difference, IMO, the Turboforce deck on the Toro is a bit deeper than the HP Trivantage deck and the Hustler Super Mini deck and has generally gotten very good reviews on this site (but the others have gotten good reviews as well).

You are really in rarefied air with all of that equipment. Good luck with your decision -- you should be extremely happy with any of those choices.

NYSCAPER LawnSite Member

Sorry I made a mistake, the Gravely WB is actually a 36inch fixed gear drive..
  7. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Super Z 27Koh/60in for 7895, it is the baddest mower I have ever operated. I was an exmark guy, but now I am Hustler all the way. If you are gonna buy a walk behind you definitely need to look at the hustler as well because the operator conrols are the best bar none IMO.
  8. EC-Rider

EC-Rider LawnSite Member

The Hustler brand has one of the most operator friendly, more bang for your money line of mowers around. payup
    Just make sure your Hustler dealer is up to snuff too! LOL! :angel:

If he’s not, go eXmark, forget the Toro, the other two are higher quality for Ur $’s.

Just MHO :blush:

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace! :angel:

EC-Rider :waving::
  9. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Wheather you are buying a rider or will not go wrong with HUSTLER
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

No, actually TORO has eXmark topped in heavy duty construction and spiffy design, with the release of the Z400 & Z500 series.

You should check those two machines over real good again and go over all the specs.