Toro vs. exmark vs. Scag (midmount 52" ZTR)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have read the past posts on toro. It seems as though they are as good as exmark w/ a better deck. I trust exmark's mower. I am thinking of purchasing a 52&quot; mower and want to explore all the options. The toro is alot cheaper than the exmark, but there has to be a set back to these mowers. Also, Scag mowers are a little more expensive, but from what I have heard they aren't quite as good as exmarks. Someone called one a bag of bolts compared to the exmark he just switched over to. Which one would be the best mower? I want a Kawasaki engine and I am trying to keep the cost to around $6000<p>Thanks<br>Rick Wallace<br>LawnWorks

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i have the toro z master and love it. The prices seem to differ emencly. Around here the toro are more money and some other places i heard of the toros being 500 bucks cheaper. Scag definitly does not compare to the toro or exmark. Dosnt cut as well as either nor does it hold up as well. The exmark and toro are the exact machine as you said exept the deck...so there is where you need to made your choice.... wich deck do you like better. The toro deck cuts incredeble in dry or soaking wet grass but the exmark only cuts great in dry grass. The decision was easy for me. toro all the way!

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro and the Exmark are the exact same mower except for the deck. Toro bought Exmark a couple of years ago and they both come off the same production line. Scag is a very good mower but they are playing a bit of a catch-up game with Exmark/Toro right now. Your best bet is to test drive the ones that are available in your area and see which one you like. Oh, and if you have a Dixie Chopper dealer nearby take one of those for a test drive too.

4. ddg

ddg LawnSite Member

Im trying to decide between eXmark & Scag myself, & have picked up a lot of pointers from this forum. I want a 23-25HP, 60&quot; machine, and Scag keeps coming to the top for me. I like REAL oil with a 6 qt capacity, instead of one quart of synthetic. I like a single 10 gal. gas tank instead of two small ones you have to switch back & forth, & I like a shaft drive to the deck. I stopped by a Dixie Chopper dealer in Wichita last fall, & took a look. <br>No offense, but the DC was so damned butt ugly, I couldn't get any further with it. they might have the toughest, fastest mower on the planet, but they ain't much on styling!

5. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Evan, and Richard. We also have Scag's and they cut great. I don't believe they are playing catchup at all.<br>I agree the exmark does cut a little better, but the scag is not shabby by any means.<p><br>DDG, I would go with the 22hp LC, or 26 EFI motor. Switching fuel tanks, is not a real issue, that should not be on a mower priority list. Drive shafts are nice.<br>Don't judge a mower by it's cover.<p>----------<br>-Grasscape<br>Http://sites.netscape.net/grasscapeinc/homepage

6. Lawnworks

from usa

I found a 52&quot; Lazer for $5500 w/ 54 hrs and a 18 hp Kholer. Is the kholer that bad of a moter? I thinkthe price is good, what do yall think?

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What year is this mower with the Kohler on it? They did have some lifter and valve trouble but since have gotten those bugs out.(last year) You'll probably want a bit more than 18 hp with that too. By the time you power 2 hydro pumps and motors, push the weight of the machine, then cut sometimes thick grass, you'll be lacking. My cousin has the HP, and regrets not having more ponies. As far as the Skag goes, nice machine but you NEVER get as fast of a blade out of a shaft drive, no matter what it is. The Toro is a nice mower but it has a stamped deck as opposed to a welded deck. The left side doesn't get as much lift either because of the design but if you're only looking at a 52&quot;, I suppose it wouldn't really matter. There was a guy at one of our shows that had a Toro to trade because he wanted to go back to an Exmark. When he told us about the deck, we thought he was a little bit nutty, but after talking with a few others out in the field that had the Toros, they confirmed what he said. It's amazing that a company as big as Toro has always had one glitch or another in their deck design. For instance,to this day, we can STILL drive by a yard and tell what ones are cut with Toro walk behinds.(usually unlevel too)

8. Lawnworks

from usa

Runner<br>The guy bought his mower last year in December. I guess that would be a 1999 model. Do you really think 18 is not enough? I wonder what the blade tip speed of a Scag is. I guess I'll look on their website.<br>

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

thank you andrew! AS a toro z master owner i no the great quality of cut they have even over a exmark. Alot of people who havent used them say they dont cut as nice simply because its what they heard one time or another. As me and you no its not true. Toro's super flow deck makes it possible to cut 1ft tall grass with out any bogging or uncut grass due too the fact that the grass is being sent through the front of the deck and then discarched instead of through the middle resulting less hp requirments and a crisper cleaner cut!