toro vs exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by workinghorse, Apr 8, 2007.

1. workinghorse

workinghorse LawnSite Member

Im putting together a unit consisting of two walk behinds, a 48' hydro and
    a 36' gear driven mowers. After doing my research I decided that I liked the Emark mowers. The delimma arose when I visited a Toro dealer who happend to have a 48' fixed deck hydro with the T-bar controls for $ 2,900. And a 36' fixed deck belt driven with the pistol grip controls for $ 2,300. The 2007 48' Turf Tracer HP $ 5,995 and the 2007 metro is $ 2,799. UNfortunately I dont have all of the info as for year, make and horse power on the Toros. Im assuming 05-06. So here we have a great cost difference $5,200 for the Toros and $8,794 fo the Exmarks = $2,799 plus I dont really care for the T-bar contols. I have never used them but the they dont look like they can compete with the ergonomics of the Exmark. PLease give me som feedback!

2. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I've never run pistol grips, but I can assure the T-bar is pretty sweet. Your hands won't be tired by the end of the day from squeezing the handles on a pistol grip.

Go with what you can afford. They are both good mowers.

3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Something does not make sense here, Toro does not have any fixed deck Hydro T-Bar mowers. Also, $2900 is way too low for any new Toro hydro mower. Something is fishy about the Toro prices. If you got more details such as year, hp, model, that would be helpful.
    Make sure that 48" T-Bar is actually hydro, $2900 is right on the mark for a gear-drive model.

Based on what you say, I'd suggest you go for the Exmark setup. A comparable Toro setup would be similarly priced to the Exmarks. (After all, they are both part of the same company) I think that the T-Bar is easier for controlling a gear drive mower, but for hydro, I'd say its a toss up to personal preference.

4. workinghorse

Thanks for that info. I'm quite sue that it was a fixed deck 48' hydro mower with the T-bar although the dealer was closed when I wanted to look at it again. So, I will get alll the particullars. But, a detail that I didn't disclose is that the dealer is loosing his deal with Toro. A different dealer "Heil Bros" told me that. Anyway, he has stated that he is giving the mower to me for $400 less than his cost on the 48' and $200 on the 36. I'll definetely get the yr,hp,model tommorow. But I I know the difference between a gear drive and a hydro.

5. LCPullman

If the dealer is not going to be carrying Toro any more, that is a good reason not to go with Toro in this case, as you do want good support and service. Consider where the next closest Toro dealer is.

Even if the dealer is selling the mower below cost, $2900 sounds too low. Toro's least expensive hydro lists at $5000 (36") and a dealer would be hard pressed to get their price on it to $3300 unless they were a big dealer and bought alot of equipment.

Again, check it out carefully because I'm positive Toro hasn't made a T-Bar Hydro Fixed deck in recent years.

Also, the price on the 36" gear Toro doesn't correspond to the price on the 48" hydro because, $2900 would be a really good price on a hydro, whereas $2300 would be a more expected price on a 36" gear.

6. workinghorse

Hey, You where right...Toro dosn't have a 48' hydro with aT-bar. Anyway, I went to look at it again turns out that I was getting the two of the mowers mixed up. The 2005 48' hydro Proline with a 15hp kaw has pistol grip controls, and the 2005 36' gear drive with a 15 kohler has the T-bar.

7. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

sorry to make a worthless post in your thread but,:cry:
    A scag 48" tiger cub with 19 kawasaki costs $5999.99 in my area.

8. LCPullman

Try the two out, Toro and Exmark, if you can, compare them and see which you like better, and get the one you like best.

One thing, the Exmark hydro is a floating deck vs. the Toro fixed. Floating decks are easier to change height and they don't scalp as much.

I personally don't like pistol grips, but I love the T-Bar gear drive, its so easy to use.

9. dbc45420

dbc45420 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

workinghorse, I have a 52" Toro tbar, float deck, 17hp kawasaki. I used less than 1 hour. I bought brand new 4-04-07. I have paper work and can probably get warranty transfered over. I bought from a dealer. Its just to big for my properties. Its for sale. 3600 obo! http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/306191683.html

10. Truly Beautiful Lawn Care

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If you're going to go with Exmark, try and go with the ECS on your walk behind. Sweet!