Toro vs Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1st Class Lawns, Feb 8, 2001.

1. 1st Class Lawns

1st Class Lawns LawnSite Member

THIS IS MT FIRST POST.
    SORRY IF THIS GROUND HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE.

I PLAN TO BUY EITHER A 52" TORO Z MASTER (Z100) OR A EXMARK LASER Z (HP) WITH A 23 HP KAW ENGINE IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS.
    BOTH MACHINES COST WITHIN $20 OF EACH OTHER.
    I HAVE USED TORO WALK BEHINDS SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS. I KNOW TORO IS VERY DEPENDABLE SO IM A LITTLE PARTIAL TO TORO BUT, I HAVE ALSO READ THAT EXMARK IS ALSO DEPENDABLE.
    ALSO, BOTH DEALERSHIPS CARRY A LARGE INVENTORY AND THE EXMARK DISTRIBUTOR IS HERE IN RALEIGH.
    I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME OF YOUR OPINIONS AS TO WHICH MACHINE YOU PREFER.
    THANKS
    JAMES

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark got Toro beat in all areas.LOOK OUT
    Welcome to the forum.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Hi James,

Welcome to Lawnsite. You will find a wealth of information here.
    While you are waiting for some responses, you could look at some of the previous posts. You will not only find discussions about Exmark and Toro but practically anything else related to the industry.

Check out Eric ELM's link page at:

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/lawnsite_post_links.htm

4. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

I've seen other landscapers using these small machines and they do not cut as nice as the 60 inch machines. The decks bounce around and they cannot go as fast. The time you lose becasue of the need to slow down to produce a cut equall the to the 60 inch machines you might as well be walking!!!

5. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

"Exmark got Toro beat in all areas.LOOK OUT "

Seeing that they are identical machines except for the deck, I would beg to differ. James, if you mow in moist or a wetter climate, buy the Toro because of the superflow deck. If your area is more dry, then go with the Exmark. Other than that, there is really no diference.

Mike

6. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have the 44" toro Z100 I like the machine a lot. It cuts as smooth as a baby's butt. If I were going to buy the 52" I would go with the bigger unit. Like said in a previous post they are a little heavier to keep you planted to groud and besides you won't bounce as much. Also, if you cut a lot of hills it has a wider wheel width in the rear.

7. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Speed is not everything and quality is. Demo both mowers and see which you like more. Check the reputation of the dealer and their service and support. If (when) your mower breaks will they give you a loaner? How long will they keep your mower? Ask good questions. Get satisfactory answers!

Welcome to lawnsite!

8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Keep with the TORO they are the best overall mower around

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I got exmark cause I thought it was the best.
    Guess this means a trip to the toro dealer.
    WHEW Hope I get it right this time.
    Seriously when I was shopping ,the dealers had
    to tell me about any difference as I couldnt see one.
    Also found very similar machines put out BY the others
    I looked at.A few exceptions STANDER ETC
    I have yet to see a dixie . The one I knew
    about is no longer in WHITLEYS LOT located in monroe
    nc

10. dlandscaping2

dlandscaping2 LawnSite Member
    from USA

how much were these quotes for i am lookin to purchase one of these machines and both dealers are great i bought my wb from the toro and my echo stihl and other things at exmark both have great service and said they would give me a great deal rite not the machines are priced at 7299 i think for the toro and $7025 fo the exmark. i could get the exmark at the end of yr discout same with the toro also toro said he would look to see what the mass salesman has for demos and see if i could get it cheap and with full waranty???? what were ur prices????