1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

toro vs honda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by t j lawn care, Oct 23, 2003.

1. t j lawn care

t j lawn care LawnSite Member

I am interested in what people think about which is better a Toro Proline bbc with a 6 hp Kaw engine vs a honda Commercial with a 5.5 honda engine with bbc. I bag and also mulch ?

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I'd go with the Toro. Look for a 2-stroke model. They are the best 21"s out there.

3. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about that. I admit that I haven't used the Toro, but it would take an incredible mower to beat out my Honda's. I would recommed them to anyone.

I wouldn't buy the two stroke. 4 stroke will typically last longer, and it's way better for the environment.

4. 4734

4734 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

I looked an compaired both machines at my local dealer. Both machines are very well made and commercial quality. They did not have any demo units on hand so I had to buy without even starting one.
    I felt that the Honda was a better unit for me so thats what I bought and I don't regret it one bit.

I also bought a Honda trimmer and stick edger the same day.
    I really like only having the pre-mix for the blower.

It's your money, you worked hard for it so pick the machine that fits your needs.

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

This season I bought a 6 hp Kawasaki Proline to replace a 6.5 hp Briggs powered Proline. I can't comment on the Honda but the Kawasaki is a great improvement over the Briggs. The mower mulches great but I find the bag hard to empty.

Ray

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Honda! Best machine I have ever owned. Like I say it is heavy and built like a brick shirt house but it is quiet, runs smooth has good traction, excelent bagger, good mulcher (I do both) and the 5.5 is Hondas rating compared to a briggs it is an 9hp.
    I have not been able to stall it even on 7" cutting at 3 mulching. (had to go slower but it never stalled).
    good luck try em both.

7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive ran Honda's, Snappers, and The Toro proline, the Toro with the 2 cycle suzki is the best 21" mulcher ive ever used.....Marks Mowing Service

8. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

Honda! The people that make these units are short their eyes are closer to their work and they make less mistakes.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've looked into both of these mowers. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one! Six of one , 1/2 dozen of the other.

10. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If you can still find one I would get the Toro 2-cycle just for the simle fact that it needs little to no maintenance during the season. I have a 1984 and it only needs the muffler cleaned and a new sparkplug every no and then.