1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am in desperate need of a new mower. Long story short - a guy stopped me the other day asking about our 1 Z. IT is a toro, DFS bagger, 52inch, 20 kohler, 1,008 hours. 3 yrs old. I said great blah blah blah - Monday he calls asking if I would be interested in selling. Sure - he now wants to try it out. I ended up selling the mower. I am now down one machine out of 4 and I need another.

Toro dealer say I can you a mower within a week, just no DFS bagger. I am pricing a 52 inch, 23 Hp Kawa engine, dfs bagger. Mower alone he wants $8100, DFS he wants $1600. Tells me toro is increasing prices 3.5% November 1, 06.

Ok - I try to rent a mower - not an option. Everyone around here either won't rent or wants $45 / tack hour. I have a JD dealer, toro dealer, snapper dealer, grasshopper dealer, woods dealer, kubota dealer. I check with Kubota - he'll sell me a 54 inch deck with 23 kohler Z for $7100 - no interest, no down, no nothing for 3 years. Bagger is a 3 bag system mounted in the back for an extra $1500.00

So do I switch to Kubota and have all other toros? Stay with Toro - and where can I get a DFS bagger for a 400 series Toro??
  2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to buy a gasser, buy the Toro. HOWEVER, you can buy the best diesel in the Kubota. :usflag:
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

What reason do you have to not buy the kubota? Haveing all toro is nothing special if you don't have a junk toro to steal parts from in a hurry. And the $1200.00 is quite an incentive.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

You should be able to get a much better price than that.
    Check on the z500 estate series (sister to the exmark lazer as)
    The local dealer is eager to sell the 25 61 for $6999 and there is a 25 52 in the same series that should be equal or lesser priced.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just for the 3yrs no int / no pay, I am very tempted to go out and get one right now.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That financing rate is very attractive! Is that offer good on the whole line of commercial ZTRs?
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The Toro diesels are Kubota's.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, the offer stands for all Kubota "stuff" and all BOBCAT stuff. If I was in the market for a new SKID I would junp at that deal but my old case serves the purpose for the amount I use I.

I have 3 400 series TORO's and 1 500 series toro's. I like them, dealer has been great but he has told me best deal for $8100 for the 400 series TORO with 52 deck and 23 kawa engine.

Kubota - I have had 2 in the past years - 5 - 8 yrs ago but I just went all toro due to parts, machines, one dealer ect. Tough call! Also with the Kubota I will have to jump off all the time to empty the 3 bag bagger system. Where as with the DFS I back up and dump and gone again.

If you know where I can get a 400 series TORO with DFS bagger - let me know. Toro also says that November 1 - 06 they will be raising all prices on new stock regardless of machines by 3.5%. That is pretty steep if you ask me for a price increase in one year.
  9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I am very aware of that. However, the Toro he is looking at is a gasser. :cool2:
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Meets - how far will you drive for either machine?? Also, what model exactly are you looking for with the other 2?? I'll check my Toro / Kubota dealer here. The Toro dealer's usually high, but I know the Kubota guys will be VERY happy to move product right now. I ALWAYS buy my machines from them this time of year.

My Kubota dealer is about 40 miles north of where I met you that time to get that blade grider..... which by the way has been sitting in the corner of the garage since... You wanna buy it back??? :D