Toro vs Lawnboy vs Lawnboy Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeave96, Aug 7, 2004.

1. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

I am considering purchasing a new 21" walk behind and am leaning toward a Lawnboy - primarily because it has a side chute and a 2 cycle engine, but I have some questions.

I have just about ruled out the commercial version of the LB because I have read posts here that the drive wheels do not hold-up and the drive cable constantly breaks.

So I have narrowed my choice to the Goldpro and Silverpro series LB's. The Goldpro has an "Easy Stride" drive system that looks very much like Toro's personal pace drive system. The Silverpro has a "Varible" drive system that I think is the same system as the personal pace, except that one uses a lever to control the ground speed.

Here are my questions:

1. How are these Toro Personal Pace/LB Easystride drive systems holding-up? Anyone using them, either the Toro or LB? What are your opinions of them.

2. Anyone using the Silverpro LB's? How do you like the "Variable" drive system? Do you find yourself having to hold the drive lever about halfway up constantly (and is this uncomfortable) all day long to maintain a useable speed? How does this variable compare to the PP/ES systems? What is your preference. Any opinions would be appreciated on this.

3. I notice that there is a brace that runs under the deck of both GP & SP mowers at the discharge chute. It looks like a brace/deflector. It also looks like something that would catch grass and clog the chute. Anyone removed this brace?

4. What is your opinion/preference between the steel deck and aluminum decks?

I appreciate all responses. I'd like to hit a homerun with this purchase, so your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have the Silver series.........it's not the fastest thing out there but then again.....it doesn't need to be. I have no problem with the bar.....I think you can even adjust it so light pressure will get it going. I've had no problems with mine.......had it 3 years and has failed to start 3 times.......always operator error........clogged air filter! I mulch everything with mine.....bagging is not quite as good as I would want it to be. I was really impressed when I did put the mulch plate on how well it worked....I've never replaces the small 4 sided mulching blade and it still does the trick........need to design some of those dealios for the big mowers.

3. bhoffman

bhoffman LawnSite Member

I bought a Toro Super Recycler with Personal Pace last August and it works very well for my application. I gets used about 2-3 hours a week for trimming. Mulching works good and bagging is good in dry grass. Wet grass clogs pretty quick.

Just my 2 cents.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a silver series and I am pleased with it, I dont bag but I do mulch some with it and it does a good job. If you have located a 2 cycle unit you better get it fast because they are not being made any more and most dealers are out

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Bill,

I have several Lawnboys, both the Gold series and the Silver series as you can see in the picture. These machines get used daily, somewhere between 5 to 6 hours 6 days a week.

To answer your questions:

1. The drive systems are holding up very well, and these machines are getting used as much as the ZTR is. If you do find yourself needing to fix the drive system they are very easy to work on. Lawnboy has a parts list online with a diagram of every part and parts number.

2. You might want to do further research on the variable drive system on the Silver series. The one that I have has a bar on it that engages the drive system, but in doesn't matter if you hold it half way in or all the way in, it still only moves at one speed (slow).

3. The brace on the bottom of the mower is a support beam for the bagger. It doesn't affect anything else. I run mulch kits on all my machines and the bar is behind the mulch plate. When the baggers are on the bar supports the bottom of the bagging chute. The only time the bar would be any issue is if you were side discharging and even then I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

4. The aluminum deck will never rust and is lighter than the steel decks.

If your options are between a Gold series and a Silver series, then I would highly recommend going with the Gold. It will cost you a little more but it's well worth the extra money.

lawnboy.jpg

6. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

One other quick question with respect to your LB's, does the front wheel configuration with the staggered wheel cause the mower to have a tendency to steer to one side or the other? If so, has this been a problem?

Thanks,
    Bill

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I got one at the beginning of the year. Its been good so far.

sierra birthday 002.jpg

8. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

How well can you stripe with that staggered wheel design? I saw at my Lowe's here 3 or 4 of the 2 cycle silver series. Around $350. Good???

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

The staggered wheel design is not a problem for steering or anything else.

The difference between the Gold series and Silver series is that the Gold has a cast aluminum deck --- it's lighter and won't bend when you hit something (AND YOU WILL). The Gold series has three speeds vs. one speed with the Silver series. The third gear speed on the Gold goes over 4mph and the one speed on the Silver goes about 1-1.5mph. The slow speed will bore you to death!

Think of the long run and try to get a Gold series.... they last a long time!

10. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

I thought the Gold series had the Easy Stride system. Has that changed?

Bill