Toro Vs. Lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the Lesco walk-behinds are very cheap, probably because they are the same as and are owned by Cub Commercial making them MTD. Anyways, how would you describe the difference in cut between Toros and Lesco? Thanks for your help.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

They cut pretty much alike cause they are commercial units, but what makes them apart is how you get serviced when it is down and needed to be in the shop....that when it breaks your back or not, dealer support or anal is what counts.
    To be honest, in my areas the majority of cutting mowers breaks down like this: ( you can see them running while you drive by )
    Walk Behind: eXmark ECS, Scag, Stander, and now lots of new Gravely walk
    Rider: Hustler super Z, Toro new Z, Lazer HP, Scag Turf Tiger, and a bunch of JD Z.

3. Howie's Lawn Care

How do you like your Exmark walk-behinds? I'm looking into a 36" and 48". What are your models as far as deck type and drive type. I'm looking into hydro 36" and gear driven 48". I don't know what kind of deck to get though. Tell me all about yours if you can and don't mind. I'm trying to learn as much about them so I can make a good decision. Thanks.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I've heard that lesco can have so pretty good dealer support, but I don't have a dealer near me. the reason the lesco's are cheaper, is that there is no distributor taking there cut. I've looked at spread sheets, and the dealer sells the mowers for roughly double the price that it is sold from the factory to the distributor.

your gettign rid of the distributor with lesco, so that guy doesn't take his cut.

5. Howie's Lawn Care

It must be nice for the dealers. Their making 50% where as the usually make 30-40%. They pay a lot less, but sell it for a little less than usual. But hey, why not? Does Quick 36 even go through anyone? If not, they probably make good money per unit sold!

6. TClawn

with the quick 36, your getting just about the distributor price. but if you bought like ten units, I think they might be a bit cheaper, I remember gary saying something about that.

the thing that I like, is that gary (the owner) is the person who will deal with warranty claims. it is HIS business that suffers if we are not satisfied, so I have always had great experiences with his mower, and with him personally.

if your interested in the mower, there are probably some people in ohio who wouldn't mind you checking it out, but just give him a call and he can work it out with you.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Howie,

After much consideration, and personal experience, at this point I think I will be sticking with Lesco for gas powered mowers until something changes. Neither Lesco or Cub Cadet builds commercial mowers. They are built by CPE (Commercial Power Equipment).

With that said, I also think that if I were going to buy a walkbehind that I would also choose a Lesco if I were going to get a hydro. I would go for the floating deck hydro, which has the same deck as my ZTR, plus ZTR-like controls and good Eaton hydros. The prices are $3,899 and less. I would expect it to be as good as the Z. The Eaton hydros are field proven to be great as they power Ferris hydro walkbehinds. Plus I like the ZTR-like controls because I value the condition of my hands and wrists. If I were going to run a walkbehind, I wouldn't want it to be something that required a gorrilla grip to operate. No thanks.

8. Howie's Lawn Care

Quick 36's are cheap, but Dixon also has a 36" for $2000 and a 48" for $2500. For Dixon, that seems like a cheap price. They are fixed deck gear driven, but it is still a good price. Does anyone have any experience with them?

9. TClawn

definatly check out that lesco hydro walk. even though it a lot more expensive, it is a double hydro. while the quick is a single. it's not bad, but you can ride a sulky with more control with a dual hydro, instead of a single.

10. Howie's Lawn Care

Are the Toro walk-behinds dual hydros?