1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro vs. Scag vs. Bad Boy (diesel)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, Feb 29, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Well since the previous post got negative replies let's try this. I can get a Scag Sabre with 130 hrs. demo for 12K plus tax, a Toro 25 Kubota for 9300 + tax, or a Bad boy 28Hp CAT for 12500 + tax. Lets hear some ups and downs of the mowers the quality of cut, reliability, and the all around mower. If possible i would like to see a pic of the turbo force cut and the bad boy cut. Never seen a good picture of either as far as cutting wuality.
  2. JShe8918

I know someone has an opinion and experience with these mowers..... Speak up don't be SHY>>>>
  3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

When did Toro start putting Kubota Diesels in their ZTR's, the Kubtoa dealership here in Memphis where I purchased my Kubtoa MX6800 tractor, is a Toro dealer, When I was looking at ZTR diesels last year he said to avoid the Toro diesels Diahtzu? his exact words "high maintance diesel" get the Kubota if Toro has changed diesels. Cats are heavy 4 banger the 70ftlbs torque is not worth the weight penalty the dealer says folks are complaining there tearning up the turf & getting stuck.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Bang for the buck---toro.
    We demoed one of them with the 23 kubota and power was a little low but the rest of the machine was decent with excellent cut quality from the turbo force deck. I'd say better than the velocity plus deck on our '07 turf tiger.

With the extra 2 hp I'd put the toro high on that list even without the price difference.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Scag Bad Boy

In that order but thats just my oppinion and you know what they say about oppinions? They are just like butt holes. Everybody has one!
  6. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

exmark or toro. exmark has a model with the kubota engine.
  7. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a true kubota dealer! I have dihatsu engine it has been the most maitainance free engine I have ever had! Most of the diesel mower useres here are mostly dihatsu with kubota and yanmars also used in the area!
  8. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

The Bad Boy is by far the most bang for your buck. A Ferris ride, and a Cat diesel for the same price as a gas mower from exmark. You might check the pricing though. The retail on the 28hp Cat is $11295 with the 60" deck. It is posted on their website also. The 35 hp 4 Cylinder with a 72" Deck is $12695. That is the most expensive mower they have. The one your looking at might have extra options, and they might add the set-up and destination in with the price.....dunno. This next week their financing promos kick off too. 0% for 2 years, 2.9% for 3, and my favorite 6.9% for 60 months. Your payment would be around $250 a month with nothing down on the massive diesel. You will have no regrets whatsoever.
  9. JShe8918

that price was with the ROPS, chute blocker, light kit, and also the flat free front casters. i tend to hit a few roofing nails somewhere every now and again. PLUS my dealer told me with out all the options it was going to run 11800.... Is he just marking it up more or what????
  10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Probably. Still an unbeatable price at $11,800! See how much more the 35hp is! It's got 20lb-ft more of torque!