Toro vs. Scag ZRT's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J1705, Apr 5, 2001.

1. J1705

J1705 LawnSite Member

I am sure this has been posted before, but I would like some "inside" on the two. (Toro vs. Scag) I have been looking at the toro Z Masters. I haven't really looked at scag yet. Anyone tell me which they prefer. Any major problems with either one??? What about that new Z stand toro came out with,is it worth getting?

Thanks
    John

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey John
    We just bought a Scag Turf Tiger, haven't got it yet, should be getting it delivered in two weeks. We bought i cause thats what everyone around here uses, plus it was a great deal. It has a nice wide stance, handles hills great. Also its built like a tank: double frame, shaft driven, foot pedal deck lift which comes in handy when uneven terrain comes your way. 10mph. Also the scag has one 10 gallon fuel tank under the seat which makes the center of gravity low, compared to dual side mounted fuel tanks. Also the Advantage deck is great, though have heard there really isn't any difference between that and the standard deck. We got the 22HP Kaw Liquid cooled, heard good things about that motor and also the Turf Tiger itself, so i would go with the Scag, but its your choice, Toro is a great mower, but not many guys use them around this area.
    Matt
    (Lawnman)

3. NoDownTime

NoDownTime LawnSite Member

All I know is scags have been bullet proof for me. I have a 52 inch SWZ with a 21hp Kawasaki and a 36 inch belt drive. The only experience I have with Toro is their 21" commerial line which in my opinion is the best on the market. I would look at the cougar, it seems like a nice machine, I am going to demo one in a few weeks. Hope this helped?

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

For you new members, I have a search page on my website for Lawnsite members. Just click on my little red house below and then click on Lawnsite Links on my Home page. You can click on Scag or Toro to read all the posts on these two brands. There are 74 search topics on this search page which covers about all brands plus many other topics. If you like it, mark my website in your favorites so you can get back to the search page at any time. Many members have told me it is very helpful to them, so I hope it helps you too. :)

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Down here in southern indiana Scags are the top seller. I demoed scag,great-dane,exmark,grasshoper and toro. I ended up buying the Toro Z Master it does wonders in the spring with the damp or wet grass,cuts just as good as the exmark..well same machine just different decks,and thats the Z i chose. All these mowers are verygood and will last very long if taken care of. Scag had a faily nice cut but they clog up alot.But like i said my buddy has been doing this for over 20yrs and scag is the only mowers he uses. Marks Mowing Service

6. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

I have run a 48 Scag walk behind for two years and worked the pants off it. I just bought a 61 turf tiger 2 weeks ago and it looks furocious. 25 kohler air cooled, i would rather have the kawasaki but the deal was with the 25. I paid 8000 out the door. I am impressed with scag to the utmost and they are truly bullet proof. SCAG all the way

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

you should be asking the guys who fix these things day in and day out for an unbiased opinion.me , i chose the toro after hearing about all the problems with the scags.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Toro if you want a quality cut.