Toro Vs Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patrick.B, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys ,,,,,i'm thinking about buying me another ZTR Mower and went to scag and toro dealership...i have Gravely and love it but just can't handle with the dealer i bough my gravely cause theys hard to deal with when it come to fix little thing and it got two years warranty and theys dont fix it right ,,,so anyway ,i really got my eyes on the scag cause theys have better warranty and theys will loan me another mower if i have to send it for repair,,,anyway ...tell me what you guys think and thank you ,,,

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tiger cub, 48'' deck 20 hp kohler. Other than routine oil changes, 628 hours I have replaced 2 deck belts. The 1st I messed up, no fault of the belt or machine. The 2nd belt looked as though It came apart where it was put together. But I engage the blades @3500 rpms and the belt had about 275 hours on it so.............And Ive replaved the hydro pump belt 1 time. I had a breather gasket go bad on the engine and dump the oil out, but that was a problem that Kohler new about and had a recall on. So mine hasnt been trouble free, but belts wear out anyway. All in all I would buy another in a minute. I have a friend that has the new Toro and I like the looks of it alot and it cuts nice also. I think either mower would serve you well

Wayne

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The scag mowers and toro mowers are definitly two of the best. I know that the toro z-master spindles are extremly tough and long lasting. The toro warranty is also very good IMO but I am not 100% sure of what the warranty on the scag is.
    What size machine where you looking to get? Engine size and preference? Demo them both and see what kind of a deal the dealer can make you. You should be happy with either machine.
    Ultimatley, It boils to the age old debate...Ford vs Chevy, Exmark vs Scag Redmax vs Shindaiwa etc you get the idea.
    Post some pics when you get it though!
    Best of luck!!!

4. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

i was looking at the 48 inch cut with i think it had 19 hp with b/t that the only thing i was worries about It had brigg on the new scag....toro dealer didnt have the 48 inch cut in stock ..they said it would be about a month before it come in ...anyway .Thanks guys

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

All Scag here. www.cutinedge.com 2005 36" Z-Cat and a 1997 36" wb belt drive. I have had same issue with belt coming apart or kinking. Scag dealer said they had a bad lot of belts. They have replaced twice with no questions asked. Love my dealer. If they give a loaner thats a major plus. But, talking and doing are two totally different things. Good Luck!!

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I's got me a couple toro's, and I's will reply when yous put togeather an intelligent sentence.

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO haha...but go with the toro

8. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I think it has to be a no brainer. Go with the Scag if the dealer is willing to offer a loaner.

9. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I have both brands in Ztr's. I think that my scag does stripe a bit better but the new turbo force deck is definatly more versatile. I do actually adjust the baffle from time to time and it is a huge plus. The scag can't cut a thing when its wet and the toro is better with baffle wide open. I like them both but would go with the more versatile Toro.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

First decide which dealer you believe will give you better service.

Then go demo both mowers and see which you like best.

If the better mower is not from the better dealer, then decide if the difference is worth it.