1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro Walk Behind - Homemade Platform

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AltaLawnCare, Sep 13, 2001.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a couple of pictures of the platform I made for my Toro. It operates like a stander mower, works great on hill sides.

Toro Modification Pics

Over the winter, I'm going to convert to 5" brakes; mount 2 swivel caster wheel asemblies to the platform; and drop some of that weight, it handles like a bear - but doesn't slide the rear wheels!;)
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, not bad at all for home-made. How does it work on turns when you step off the mower to pull the inside wheel back so you dont tear the turf? Did you put a lot into it?
  3. AltaLawnCare

This is a belt drive, I can't pull it back - those extra heavy brakes Toro put on there make sure of that.

I always loop around and swing wide on the turns, I couldn't back up with the Velke either.:cry:
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

how can you stand on it without rearing the front wheels off the ground?

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Thats an "Alta-ered" version of the Pro-Slide.:D
  6. AltaLawnCare

Geo - it took a lot of counter weight. The big drawback is walking behind it, unless loading and unloading on the trailer.

Yes it has been "Alta - ered".:D
  7. Add two swivel castors with air filled tires.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

what about slopes and uphill downhill? Riding my velke the wheel pushes me up or down as needed. have you experienced any "dig" on dips? and how does this affect your hillside ability with all the weight in the front and back? Dave g:confused:
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an Exmark sulky on my 48" w'b and find that weight on the front end greatly reduces wheelies.
  10. AltaLawnCare

Yes, it will "dig in" if I don't watch what I'm doing - it will also swing around and nail something if I get too close.

On side hill slopes, it's very stable even more so than walking behind it! Walking behind it would let the high side tire slide (before all the weight) - this goes back to the balance of the mower.

I only have one small hill, which is soo steep that nothing else but a 21" would cut it - but the Toro Stander sticks to it like a spider.;)