Toro walk behind mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 9, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Trying to decide on deck choice for a Toro hydro walk behind. Toro website says the 36" deck is SFS and also states that all SFS decks are 3 in 1 (mulch/bag/discharge) The guy at the dealer says they come with the "classic" deck now in that size. I have that type on my old 36" belt drive and it can't mulch. Any chance the new 36" is mulch capable? Anyone have one? I will go with the 44" SFS if it can't, even though the bigger deck can't fit in as many back yard gates.
  2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I have the 44" with the SFS, I love it it works great all around.
  3. brucec32

Hey, how has that true-trak sulky worked with the Toro? I have a one-wheel Velke I use on my belt drive, but it's used mostly as a backup and for gated areas and rarely for mowing soft wet turf the Lazer would tear up.
  4. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I really like it, now every sulky has its draw backs, this one is that it swings out when you turn and you have to be careful around landscaping or fences, But i love it when you back up no jack knifing just straigh back. It can be hung up to and it doesnt interfer with normal walking.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What do they mean by a "classic" deck??? Does this mean it has the pins to adjust the mowing height, or is it still spacers??

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I keep getting different versions of the retro "classic" style deck. Honestly, I wonder if the dealers even know for sure, and the Toro web site basically stinks. "classic" style refers to the old square type carrier frames and the 4 pins in a horizontal position through the sides of the deck for adjustment. A dealer recently told me that in fact what toro is offering this year is a modified version of their 2001 vertical pin design for gear drives only. Apparently the carrier frame doesn't arc way up like the other new style toro's. I guess we will all have to wait and see. :confused:
  7. brucec32

I agree that confusion reigns at the Toro website and at the dealers. I also wonder why they only offer certain decks with certain controls and certain engines. You can only get 15hp on a 44" T bar mower! They should try to standardize the tractor units and decks so that you only have 4 choices:

1. Engine size
    2. Deck size
    3. Control type (t bar or pistol)
    4. Fixed or Floating deck.

By making everything modular and a "fit" for other components, you could get what you want. You could limit engine choices on decks (no 13hp engines on 52" decks, for example) but generally let people just choose. Dealers could order just decks or just traction units or just control systems as needed.

Would require some re-engineering but it could be done.