Toro Walk Behind Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by streamlight2, Apr 19, 2014.

1. streamlight2

streamlight2 LawnSite Member

I've got a Toro w/b model 30166 proline has a Kawasaki FB460v 12.5 hp motor. Just finished putting a few gaskets on the engine, now when starting the motor, the clutch is already engaged and the blades spin. The clutch engage switch will not disengage the clutch either. Any help appreciated/

2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Try unplugging the clutch at the clutch
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. streamlight2

We unplugged the clutch right where it comes up through the deck but same situation.

4. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Then the clutch is fried
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. streamlight2

Is there a way to test the clutch to verify that it is bad?

6. streamlight2

Here's some pictures of the mower.

SANY1470.jpg

SANY1458.jpg

SANY1460.jpg

SANY1462.jpg

SANY1464.jpg

7. streamlight2

I'm still trying to determine if the clutch is bad, just recently tried to start the motor with the clutch plug unplugged and this time the blades started again but very slow.

8. viper8524

viper8524 LawnSite Member

Did this happen before you removed the engine as well? or did it just start after the reinstall?

maybe the clutch air gap is closed up. You see the 3 spring loaded studs with 9/16 headed nuts. You can adjust those so you have .015-.025 air gap between the clutch disks. Also make sure all the pulleys, keyways, washers and clutch are all on in the correct order and not overtorqued.

if all that seems right, gotta be a bad clutch.

9. streamlight2

Supposedly this happened after the motor was reinstalled on the deck, I didn't check the blade clutch switch before working on the mower, does the clutch have to be removed before adjusting the air gap? If so I will get that taken care of tomorrow plus the correct torque on the main bolt.

10. streamlight2

Got the clutch removed and checked the air gap between the rotor and armature at the three windows and there is no gap at all. Used a 9/16 wrench and loosened the three nuts 3/4 turn, but didn't make a difference. Also measured the ohms at the clutch plug and got 4.1 Since the rotor and armature are stuck together, does that mean the clutch is bad?