Toro walk behind spindle repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gardenkeeper88, Aug 27, 2004.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Bought new a 44" & 52" walkbehind almost 3 years ago. last year my 44 was in with blade not able to get off. Dealer said that it was a different style than he had ever seen and it didn't have something on bottom to keep this from happening. Had to replace entire spindle assembly ($500.00 +). Earlier this summer again same thing on the 44 different spindle. Now 2 weeks ago my 52 middle spindle broke and dealer had to order new complete spindle assembly. again he said that my 2 mowers are the only ones he has had in with this type of spindle. as of yesterday parts are still on backorder from toro. My dealer has spindles of what he called more common ones. Has any one else ran into this? Also how do I get in touch with Toro? Can't find a email or phone #. With my dealer saying that these are not the common type he has repair on other walk behinds make me think that Toro did not use these very long. Very disapointed with these compared to what I had heard about Toro before I bought. Won't buy or recommend them to anyone. Already bought new z this year and went to hustler and love it and the dealership is also much better.

2. Tulizar

Tulizar LawnSite Member

Hmmm...sounds like you're dealing with the wrong person. I've been selling and repairing toro commercial products for years, and have never had a problem locating parts or identifying models. What's the model and s/n of the machine? I can tell you that toro rarely backorders parts (in new jersey anyway!)

Let me know what you've got. I'm curious as to what's so odd about your mower.

3. gardenkeeper88

I still don't have it back yet. Well I'm not very happy. Hope you can help me. My 52" Model #30297 SN #210005212 44" Model #30291 SN #210005102. Both were purchased new Sept. 2001. I appreciate any thing you can come up with. Thank you much.

4. Tulizar

Tulizar LawnSite Member

We sold a few of these models. both are a newer style, but not uncommon. I checked with Toro and your dealer is right--both 52" spindle assemblies are on backorder. The part numbers changed, so hopefully toro solved any problems they might have had with these spindles.

We've replaced a bunch of toro spindle assemblies over the past couple of years, mostly on z-masters, all of which were covered under toro's three year spindle warranty (3rd year, parts only.) Never had a problem with these walk-behind models though. If you bought the mowers less than three years ago, check with your dealer about the warranty.

Good luck!

5. gardenkeeper88

Tulizar, Thanks for your input. I finally was able to pick up the mower today. I asked if it was anything covered under warranty and they replied no this is a normal maintenance repair. I also talked to them about warranty last year on the 44. he said he doubted it, but he would talk to Toro about it. When Ididn't hear anything after about 5 months. I called them again and of course the answer was no. After I picked up the mower, (didn't pay anything yet) and again no warranty I found the Toro customer service # and called them today. They said that all warranty work is at the dealers discretion. They are going to contact the dealer and get back with me in a week or less. I don't really look for anything to be done. I'll let you know thanks again.

6. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like your dealer is trying to screw you over. $500 for spindle repair is absolutely ridiculous. If I had a dealer like that I would not like Toro either. We have replaced a few Toro spindles ourselves over the years, they aren't very difficult to do. Good luck with the warranty, hopefully they won't try to blame it on lack of maintenance.