Toro walk behind tune- up

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chesapeakebay, Dec 13, 2005.

1. chesapeakebay

chesapeakebay LawnSite Member

I took my 37" Toro walk behind in to a local dealer here in Virginia Beach last week for a $60 tune up. The mower is 4 years old. I was told it would be ready in about 6 days. I was never called so I called today to check the status and was told that it was ready and that the price for service was $316.00. They replaced a lot of parts and did a lot of work without my approval. I complained (a little) and they dropped one hour of service from the price which brought it down to $251.00.

Is this common? I'm new to the business.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

What did they replace? For future reference, ALWAYS do your own tune-ups, some dealers know nothing about basic tune ups and end up replacing belts gear lube and everything else under the sun. This is the normal treatment from a dealer, however, you should have been notified about the extra charges/work. Learn to do your own maintenance and use the dealer only to buy parts/new equipment. JM 2 cents

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That is by NO means common, If you took your unit in for a tune-up ONLY thats ALL they had approval to do. They should have listed all work above a standard tune-up and called you with a estimate for the extra work and gotten your approval on it BEFORE performing the work. That is standard practice where I work, Never Ever perform extra work without prier approval.
    If it were me I think I smell a law suit. I see no need in saying find another shop but what the hey, In the future ALWAYS ask for a estimate before even a simple tune-up is performed and make sure estimate is written on the work order before signing it.

Sorry to hear you got the screw, Hope you can do something about it !

Good Luck

4. chesapeakebay

replaced left spindle bearings, deck belt, pulley for traction belt, plug, drained and cleaned carb, replaced fuel filter, sharpened blades.

5. Restrorob

Standard Tune & Service Where I work....

Replace spark plug(s)
    Adjust carb. if applicable and engine RPM
    Change oil & filter if equipped
    Replace fuel filter
    Replace air filter & pre-cleaner (if needed)
    Sharpen blades or replace (if needed)
    Check deck spindle bearings
    Check all belts and idler pulleys
    Check wheel bearings
    Lube all grease fittings
    Spray lube cables
    check tire pressure
    List and estimate any other repairs needed for customer approval
    Pressure clean unit when work is finished

All Commercial units 49.95 plus parts

6. lawnmaniac883

Wow restro, even get the mower pressurewashed! Really though, they replaced all of that and didnt touch the traction belts?!?!?!? Run from that dealer.

7. Restrorob

Yep, Anything and Everything that comes in for repair gets cleaned after repairs are completed. And the customers say Wow too when they pick up their nice clean fully functional equipment.
    Had a couple over the years swear I was trying to give them somebody else's machine, They couldn't even recognize their own unit.
    A happy customer is a repeat customer. payup

8. lawnmaniac883

lol, no kidding. Wonder what lucky people know where a hole in the woods is hehe. Damn shame that not all shops have such high standards/work ethic.

9. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Chesapeakebay

Next time take your toro to Walt at GL Equipment. He's in Chesapeake. 757-420-4012. Top notch dealer. He doesn't sell toro but he's a great mechanic. I live in Newport News and he is worth the 2 hour round trip.

Bentley's

10. chesapeakebay

Thanks Bentleys and to all of you. I contacted the manger of this place and he refunded the rest of the labor cost $42.33. He also said he would "hook me up" next time. We'll see.