Toro Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Aug 31, 2001.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you use Toro Proline walk-behinds? I’m looking to buy a new wb and I like a lot of the features on the Toro’s. I am a little concerned about productivity; going down to a 44” deck from a 48” though, what’s up with that off size anyway? I was wondering if that super-flow-system deck is as good as they say. Can you cut high wet grass in a single pass w/o clumping?

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 00 52" w/ 15hp Kawasaki.

SFS Deck: I do have to double cut more than I had expected. And grass does clog a little under it. This is with doubles (atomic mulchers on top), an d the magical Mo-Deck.

Engine: The 15hp gives plenty of power, and is smooth - noisy though.

Overall Design: Don't make the same mistake I did. Find an older Toro with the T-Bar and offset deck used some where. They are slower but much more well balanced. The new design slides the tires badly when you try to steer them.
    If you are set on a new one, make sure they retrofit to the old 5" brakes.

The deck size will depend on what you are mowing, the smaller and lighter decks probably handly better than mine

Do a searck on "TORO" and "Walk behind" and you'll have a good hour worth of reading.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 98 ProLine 44" hydro with a 15 hp Kohler. I also have a Proslide that is great. The Toro is my backup but it is first line in the morning dew or in the rain. My setup is with the atomics and the hi lifts and it cuts lots of grass. Any grass will clump if too wet but I never clog the thing. It seems to want to cut in the rain.

The T bar and hydro make it quick. I added a 35lb weight to the front of the deck and it holds the ground real well.

If I were to do it again I would get the same setup with the 17HP Kawi. No other changes.

On a side note check out Gravelys 2002 walk behinds that should be coming out soon. They have great features and its very well built. I demoed a prototype 48" deck this summer. I still like the T-Bar setup and if Gravely would get a setup like that my next WB will be a Gravely.
    Good Luck.