1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro walk-behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasscanuck, Mar 8, 2002.

1. grasscanuck

grasscanuck LawnSite Member
    from canada

Does anyone have experience with the Toro 36-48 walk-behinds, and the value in the hydro over the gear?
  2. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

I have a Toro 36" gear drive. It is a excellent mower. It has never given me any trouble at all. I bought it used for a great price. I think that a Hydro would be nice but I dont think I would use it enough Since I recently got a Walker :D
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro 36 in gear drive wb with a 14hp Kohler. This mower is now in its 14th season of use. I would not hesitate to buy another Toro.
  4. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

I have two 48 inch gear driven walkbehinds and love them. The t-bar feature is outstanding. They give a beautiful cut and are easy to maintain. I have a velke on one and just fly.
  5. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have (2) Proline 44" gear models. One is a 1992 model and the other a 1999. Pap 92 still cuts every week during the season, but has become a bit slow. Pap also has about 2,200 hours on a 14hp Kohler and the 99 has a 15hp Kohler with 600 hours. I have velkes on both, and have had no engine problems to date. They both stripe great, have an excellent quality of cut, and mow wet grass better than anything I've seen. Most of the belts have been replaced a few times, and (1) transmission on Pap. Best mowers I have ever purchased.

However my 2002 Lazer HP may make me eat those words of praise.....
  6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I have a 32 proline gear drive with the fixed deck, and a 44 proline with the floating deck, both are set up with sulkys though on the 32 I only use the sulky on flat yards.. I purchased both last year, I love the finish cut they provide and they are good machines and easy to maintain... I also have an older husquvarna 44 hydro that is fine as well but I will be selling it since I don't use it as much anymore, I don't think it cuts as nice as the prolines do. The main reason I choose the gear drives over hydros is because it is easier to replace the belts and cheaper that if you had to do repair work on the hydro drive, though they do hold up well. If the gear drive breaks down all I have to do is just change a belt, if the hydro quits for some reason...... I'm stuck and besides the gear drives are cheaper to purchase.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I had I 48 toro walkbehind with the T bar. It gave a nice cut, but for me it scalped a bit easy. Could just have been certain lawns. As far as mowing quickly, I had a bear of a time turning it. I can cut circles around it with a pistle grip machine. There just was no way to pull back and pivot her with the handle so narrow, and straight. I am sure it is a fine machine, but for me I would only buy pistole grips, or maybe the ecs deal from exmark.