Toro walkbehind fixed or floating decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Jun 7, 2003.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to buy a couple walk behinds and don't know which to purchase. I've always had fixed decks what are the benefits to floaters?

2. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, floating is the best way to go because aside from actualy "floating" over undulations, you have fast, level height adjustability. I have (2) 44's and a 36 floating Toro's. I am always adjusting the decks. I also have a Snapper fixed deck 48. I find that if I get on a property that needs cut lower, or higher if I'm behind, I'm stuck with the snapper. Moving those front caster spacers up or down does very little to adjust actual cutting height. Where I am, we have all different blends of cool season grasses and they all grow at different rates from property to property. The floaters just seem to work beter for me. :dizzy:

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

1. Floaters are easier (at least cleaner)to adjust height on.
    2. Floaters will adjust through a wider range of cut w/o tools.
    3. Floating deck will float over undulations if the anti-scalp wheels hit the turf before the deck. If it has none of these, it won't really float well. This matters a lot on big decks, less so on small decks.
    4. Floating decks are usually heavier, making the mower less likely to bounce on rough terrain. Some, however, may be TOO heavy, causing problems of its own.

I have fixed and floating decks. I like both, though on big sizes I would go with floaters.

4. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

big toros go floater small toro go fixed thats what I do

5. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

OK, I'm thinking 2 32" mowers for small yards and getting into back gates, so go fixed? Then I am also getting 2 48" walkbehinds do you consider them big enough to buy a floater or go fixed?

6. TaussigLawnCare

Don't get 2 32's thats a waste and a half for sures man I would get 2 36's that are fixed deck cause they fit in to 99% of my yards and if they don't those back yards are small enough that it doesn't take long with a trim mower. For the 48's got floater I definatly like the big ones floating better

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Why not one 32" and one 36" so he can handle all types of gates w/o worries? I haven't even cranked my 21" mowers this season since I got the 32".

8. TaussigLawnCare

well in my opinion a 32 is to much money for only 10 inches and my 36 doesn't get used more then once or twice in a day. Anymore if we can't fit a 36 in the back we aren't gonna mow it(unless the $$$$ is right)