Toro walkbehind problem (Help)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 2, 2002.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new Toro Proline 36" last week today doing my own lawn it got to where it would not go. The belt did not slip it just would stop the axle coming out of the trans mission but would not pull or go backwards. I got it to go some and tried to put it on the trailer. It would not pull itself up the ramp. Anyone know what is causing this? Please help.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your transmission shafts aren't spinning, then your engine to trans belt is slipping. Most belt WB's have a mechanically adjustable idler pulley. Simply tighten it up a bit and you'll be fine.

3. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

The pulley tls is talking about is mounted to the deck that the engine sits on. There is a slot in the engine deck that you can slide the pulley back and forth in. You need to loosen the bolt that holds the pulley and use a prybar or something else to push it so that it puts more tension on the belt (look underneath the deck and see which way you need to push it). While applying pressure to it, tighten the bolt and it should be fixed.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

they are correct. my exmark did the same thing. just make sure there is a little play in the belt when it's tight or you can cause the pulley bearings to wear out early. exmark's tension is 1/2" deflection at 3 lbs. of pressure. check your manual for your specs.

oh yeah, when it's right and the transmission is in a higher gear, be prepared for it to do a small wheelie if you let go of the brakes too fast!

5. Holloway Lawns

Thanks for the help I am going to see what I can do with it. May just go by the dealer also. Thanks.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

bring it to the dealer. i found toro would not back thier products! if u try to adjust it, and it doesnt work, they will use that as an excuse for not fixing your machine

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It takes all of about 20 seconds to fix the problem. If you just bought the mower the shop probably didn't tighten the pulley enough.

8. Holloway Lawns

Adjusting the pully worked. Know I am trying to adjust the T-Bar the left whell will turnon it's on. I have adjusted the wing nut so it does not engage the lft whell on it's on but that makes the t bar tilt to one side if I adjust the right side so it is even then it does not engage the right whell. I am getting a bit @!&^)~~!@%^$#%:confused:

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Cant help you here.

Where's STONE when you really need him ? :rolleyes: