1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Toro / walker differences?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Sep 8, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Just hired a new guy and he came with us today for the first time. He is from Denver and says all he has ever used were walkers. He really bragged about the mowers. Now I had him on a TORO Z all day and that is waht he'll run which he did a decent job with but what are the real differences in the mowers (as I don't know, seen them but that has been it) just to be able to give advice on the toro running if he gets frustated with our toro's.
  2. iowa

iowa LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW IA

on the walkers you steer with one hand with two little levers by your crotch and control your speed on the right side with another hand...
  3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

A walker will leave a cut that no toro ever will
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Judging from a couple of Toro's guys have here, I would agree with that, but that may just be lack of maintenance on their part.
  5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I will tend to disagree with this statement. A lot of people in my area run Walkers, due to a GHS distributer local.

However, I, like many people on this site isn't impressed with Walker. I mean a lot of folks talk about the stripe of these machines. You have two outer tire marks and you have a middle tire mark. Thats it....

I think a lot of times you focus on the different stripes in the turf, and tends to draw your attention away from the cut.... This was the real reason striping go so popular with field maintenance... To take away from the flaws in the turf.

I prefer a continuous light, dark stripe.

Now I believe in really tight situations where maneuverability is key, I feel Walkers are great.
  6. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the easiest thing about the walker, and the feture that i love it that the deck flip up for easy cleaning, easy chaning of the blades and so on. also with the deck out in front of you, you are able to get under trees, swingset ect. that you cant do on a Z. as far as finished cut, the grass comes out looking like a piece of carpet.
  7. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess of your striping thats another story. Walker wheel setup is not too conducive to striping. Down here centipede and st augustine doesnt really stripe and Walker really is the best mower for cutting it.
  8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Interesting comments guys. I have never used a walker although have seen them getting serviced at a dealer cuz there is no one in are area to sell. There website is interesting as well.
  9. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I wasn't aware of were you were KTO. However, most want to say they love their stripe and thats the reason why most say they love their cut. They aren't looking at the cut.... just the stripe. Again, I wasn't really thinking of where you were from KTO..

On another note.

This claim that Walker leaves a lot nicer cut than most... Is this using bagging or is this side discharge? I would bet its bagging. I would love to see how my cut is when I strap on a DFS bagger.

I can't really claim anything on how a Toro TurboForce cuts on warm season grass KTO. However, I do cut some common Bermuda some and looks great. I think if you have a properly set up deck, and sharp blades a TF is hard to beat....
  10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I think they are for two totally different type of jobs...The Walker is for the guy who bags everything...doesnt care as much for speed as he does for bagging/quality.
    The Toro Z is a combo of speed and quality cut.
    If I was going to bag everything (I never ever will) I would buy a Walker. If I want to go fast and make everything look "nice" (not perfect)...I'll buy a Toro.